1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Klutch Mclovin, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

I have two 12" kicker comps and a 1,000 watt Sony Xplod amp currently hooked up in my truck. It doesn't seem to beat as hard as I want it to. I was already planning on upgrading the amp. Since I am planning on doing that I think I am going to upgrade my subs as well. What kind of amp and subs should I get? I am probably going to end up selling the subs and amp. I am probably gonna end up having around $400.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Two memphis mojo 15's and an audiopipe 1800watt amp that actually puts out the power it says it does!
  3. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Unless you just want to spend money, why not look into a different enclosure for the subs and whats your budget.
  4. Klutch Mclovin

I am trying to stay under $400. My truck is an extended cab so I have a custom box built underneath the rear seat. I was thinking of getting two 12" Alpine type R's and have them replace the Kicker's. Their peak power is around 1,800 watts each and their RMS is between 300-600 watts. I know a guy near me that sells them for around $100 a sub. If I did that I don't know what size amp I should go with. I want to keep my back seat, two 15's are too much.
  5. kburb

Check this site out, they have several amp/sub combos. Sure you will find something to your liking.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i103_amp-sub-combos.html

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

if you stay with the R's your current amp will be fine. make sure what ever you buy will work with the air space your current box supplies.
  6. Klutch Mclovin

The mounting depth for the Kicker Comp's I have are 5-7/8" and the Alpine Type R's I want have a mounting depth of 6.375". Do you think the Alpine's would still work? The box was custom, but I don't think they were custom built to the mounting depth of the Kicker's.
  7. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

8. kburb

thats something you will need to check, dont know how deep your box is, its not the depth you need to really worry about is the air volume you have. Looks like the R needs .65 to 1.25 cubic feet. the sub displaces 0.1 cubic ft.

Find how space you have to offer, if your not providing enough air space you will not be happy with the Alpines either. May also be the problem with Kickers. Check it out.
  9. Klutch Mclovin

I will definitely check it out tomorrow. I think I will just go ahead and order the Alpine MRP-M1000 amp and get rid of the crappy Sony amp and see how that turns out.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That SONY Amp is giving you about 300-400 RMS at tops.. That Alpine is about 750 RMS.. Keep an eye on the power rating at 12 volts NOT 14 like some Co's rate them at.. And rememeber a Good amp will be about $1.00 per watt....