1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio upgrades

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by blakk0nine, Nov 18, 2009.

1. blakk0nine

blakk0nine New Member

So I've recently got my 09 Silverado and am looking at some audio upgrades.
    Thinking of maybe just replacing speakers first because the sound system currently lacks strong distortion free bass. I have the non-bose 6 speaker set up. Wondering if anyone has had good luck
    with anything in particular?
  2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I had no problems with my '03 Av with bose... I replaced al my door speakers with Kenwood 6.5's... Not sure about fitment with your '09 though... I usually get all my stuff fron Crutchfield.com...
  3. kotin9

kotin9 Rockstar

I just put a kenwood 9140 in my new 09 and love it. really helped with the stock speakers too. sounds niceeeeee
  4. TritonBoulder47

A new headunit will alway sound better even with stock speakers... There's better signal processing in them... But if you dont want to shell out the cash for a new head, replacing the stock speakers helps greatly also...
  5. sv61

sv61 New Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

Haven't done any audio upgrading in years. Was told that there really aren't any options, when it comes to replacing or upgrading from the Bose system. Is this true?

I have an 2004 Silverado, with the Bose system in place. It sounds great, but I am starting to notice buzzing coming from either the passenger door speaker, OR the A pillar speaker. I want to change out the door speaker first. Is there something other than factory, that I can use? Can I get a replacement from the factory at a decent price?? OR, is it possibly the amplifier, and I shouldn't be worried about the speakers?

The reason I THINK it is the speakers, is about two and a half years ago, One of my speakers started to distort, and then quit. I pulled the speaker, and switched it with the working speaker from the other door. The problem followed the speaker. I then re-soldered the wires on the bad speaker, and voila! I had sound again. I knew it was a temporary fix, for BOTH speakers had LOTS of corrosion on the wires. HELP.

Any insight from you fine folks, would help greatly.

Thanks and Howdy!

Rene
    Comfort, Texas
    2004 Z71 Extended Cab
    Frontier front replacement bumper
    Frontier rear bumper
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. TritonBoulder47

Absolutely WRONG!!! I had the Bose system in my '03 Av, and my current system blows it away... Although Bose is a great sounding set-up, it's still a paper cone/foam surround speaker, which is completely inferior to a poly cone/rubber surround aftermarket speaker.

Easy as pie my man. Go to Crutchfield... Type in your vehicle info and it will bring up a selection of products that fit your truck...

Hope I could help...
  7. sv61

sv61 New Member

Thanks a lot for your input, Triton!

So, I CAN use aftermarket speakers, with the factory BOSE head unit/amplifiers? Again, I only want to replace the speakers.

If so, should I replace ALL the speakers for a more uniform sound? I was thinking about changing ONLY the front door speakers initially, and upgrading the A pillars and rear door speakers later. Is there also a Sub? It sounds like there is, in the center console, although I have never seen it. Haven't looked for it, TOOOOO hard!

Again, Thanks for your help!
  8. x1LSUTigerfan

x1LSUTigerfan Member

hope you dont mind my input but yes you can hook up new speakers with your stock radio you just have to put a different type of connector on the wire end that goes to the speaker then you just hook em up and put em back in and im pretty sure there isnt a sub in there lol
  9. sv61

sv61 New Member

Hey Folks!

Got to talking to Crutchfield, and it looks like it is the thing to do.

Thanks to TritonBoulder for his imput!

Let you guys (and gals) know how it goes!
  10. sv61

sv61 New Member

Thanks for your input also. Nothing wrong at all, with transfer of information!

:cool:

There is, in fact, a "sub", in the Center Console. It is a dual voice coil, Non Circular, 6.5" (how do you get that value, if it isn't circular), Sub woofer, aimed at the firewall, down in the bowels of the Center Console. According to the Crutchfield folks, there isn't really any point, trying to replace it, for a some sort of custom bracket would have to be built (not THAT big a deal, actually), and Crutchfield doesn't offer anything smaller than an 8" sub.

ANYWAY, I am looking at some Infinity speakers, which will offer some more highs, and add some lows (down to 53 hz if I recall). While not offering the PUNCH of a sub, the lower hz response should help some. The highs have a level control, which is also nice.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009