1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by knexster, Apr 26, 2012.

1. knexster

knexster New Member

just bought a 2003 s10. looking for suggestions to upgrade the stock stereo, specifically what speakers to replace and subs/box that will fit well in the back. I have an ls extended cab 3 door.
  2. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi, Knexter:

You need to first establish a budget. Once we know what that is, we can help you.

Also, do you have a preference for where you will be shopping for the audio equipment?

Most folks have personal preferences as to speakers. You might get a range of suggestions but keep in mind they are personal to that person, not necessarily authoritative on the "ultimate product".

Have you shopped on eBay for audio? You might browse in categories for what you are wanting just to get a general idea of pricing. Most sellers of new products on eBay are not authorized distributors so you would need to ask them if what they sell carries the manufacturer warranty.

Yes, I have personal recommendations, but I want to refrain from giving that opinion until you can get us some more information. Every car I have owned since I was in high school (1970's) has had aftermarket audio equipment in it. I have seen a lot of what has come down the pipe in that world. I am a big spender now, but I still shop eBay for a lot of my stuff because you can find NOS rare items for sale.
  3. knexster

knexster New Member

well it might help if I mention what I have to work with now. I already have a set of 6.5's 300watt max, and a set of 6 x 9's 400w max. both sets are 3 way speakers pioneer. a 760 watt jensen 4 channel amp and a sealed jensen 10 not sure of the watt. which leads me to budget, I have a friend that can make custom boxes so thats not much of a factor. im thinking 100-150 maybe 200 depending on what I need to replace or add. thanks for all the help!
  4. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, the heater is right in that the speakers are a personal preference thing. That being said, I have very good hearing and I love music, good music not distortion. I have been a high end audio enthusiast for more than 30 years and I can tell you that what is considered good speakers changes from year to year. I have had Clarion, Pioneer and now Infinity and I am here to tell you the Infinity speakers are head and shoulders above anything I have heard recently. Also, you should know that the wattage rating on speakers is almost useless. What blows speakers more often than not is distortion not power. You can run a clean 200 watt amp with decent 100 watt speakers and have no problem. You can also blow a 200 watt rated speaker with a dirty 50 watt amp. You see, the distortion creates excessive heat and that in turn fries the coil in the speaker were a good clean amp can provide the power needed for good sound without overworking itself and creating distortion and excessive heat. That being said you can overdrive any amp if you are not reasonable. A good rule of thumb is adjust your bass and treble or your eq were it sounds good to you with out the loudness on. Then slowly raise your volume to a level that is pleasing to you but without distortion and then see what level you are at and don't go above that. Also, you should really never go over half way on the volume. Half way is pretty much the limit on most radios and amps, after that they will distort if not before. That depends on the quality of your equipment. This is not everything, that would take a long time but a good start. If you would like to ask any questions feel free to PM me or ask here on the thread.
  5. The Heater

Listening to speakers would be helpful for you.

We each have a different ear for sound and each of us has different sensitivity for different frequencies. I have hearing loss in the range for syllables, so I need a sharper high end reproduction. So my choice is to have titanium dome tweeters. MB Quart, the old stuff that was made in Germany, is the best out there. I have had Infinity speakers and I don't like them. There you go. The last post said they were the best thing since the invention of sliced bread, or essentially that statement. Subjectivity.

All the stuff I currently have, in three vehicles with custom systems, is stuff no longer manufactured. So I probably can't help with the new products. I still like MB Quart, however. I have recently put some Rockford Fosgate speakers in the rear of my truck. They are only for fill, though. They have titanium tweeters. My fronts are old school US made A/D/S components. They do not have titanium tweeters, but they do have very nice crossovers with a switch inside to change the amount of signal going to the tweeters to suit personal tastes. I also use a Sony XEC-1000 electronic crossover (I use an electronic crossover in all my vehicles), so I can boost the frequencies I have a hard time hearing.

Look at sensitivity of the speaker. The more db, the more efficient they are. They will make the same sound with less watts than a less efficient speaker.

All my subwoofers have been Kicker. I have never had a problem with their sound nor with their performance. I have a Kicker Competition 10 inch in a bass reflex enclosure ported into the back seat of a BMW M6, powered by a dedicated 200 watt Precision Power Art Series amp. This has been in that car since 1993, and it sounds as nice as the day it was installed. And the Precision Power amp has all the power I need. I have broken that trend with my last install in my Infiniti. I put in an MB Quart sub. It sounds great too, but I still would look to Kicker first in the future, probably, unless I found something that was NOS on eBay from some other manufacturer that was too nice to pass up (A/D/S for example).
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  6. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Actually I said the Infinity speakers are the best I have heard recently and I'll add in the price range that fits his budget. Also Heater you got the efficiency backwards, the higher the db the more efficient the speakers are but you are right that is one of the specs I look for also. I too like the Kicker subs, I have 2 10"s in a sealed box with a 1000 watt Cerwin Vega amp. :glasses:
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Please throw out those Pioneers and Infinty's unless you want ear bleeds....I like to get right to the point. I have done Pro Car audio and been in many Mags over the years, I have sat in Sound Proof rooms for days listining to speakers from all brands.. Sold Car audio from all brands for over 20 years And has worked for A major 12 Volt Co for 15 years. That being said First off The Pioneer speakers with all their tweeters will give you an ear bleed. Very bright and Harch.. What you want is a nice clean sound and a nice front stage in a small truck. Something simple like a 4 Ch amp used in a 3 way mode A good set of Comp's up front and a single Sub in the back. Maybe some SAME brand speaker in the back ran off the head unit for rear fill..

As for speakers As said above the Old MBQ's are nice But for a better Mid Bass and smoother High I still like JL Audio,Focal, Higher end Alpine or Kenwood and a few other co's that are hard to find around most of the US.. Amps JL Audio Higher end Kenwood are always Bullit proof.. Rockford and Alpine also make a good product.

As said it's all upto you.. What you like and what you can spend.. Ebay and Craigslist can be good for finding deals just be sure the seller is a authorized dealer A good amp is about $1.00 per watt..

Good luck and if we can be of any help Please ask...

Glenn
  8. greg409

greg409 New Member

Doug, it seems to me that you're not going to spend a minimum of $500 to re-purchase new stuff.

That being said, do you know what size your stock openings are?

(my '98 are 4x6 in dash, 6.5 in doors) (in my doors the max speaker depth is 3" without mods to door) - No rear speakers from factory

So, you must decide on what you want out of your system - the component you describe are not mismatched much, if at all, you'll get some thump out of the 10", if it's a sub & you have a sub out on your amp.

I'm using a 2002 Gm cd head driving my (4)boss (they were dirt cheap) speakers & it sounds surprisingly good - The head has auto volume.

luck,greg
  9. knexster

knexster New Member

I came to terms with not finding an inexpensive upgrade, I put in my 6.5's and my Jensen 10. I am going to get a box for two 10's and put kicker's in with a kicker 300.1. Later I will swap the door speakers. I found a great way to conceal the floor jack in order to fit my box in the cab, pictures/video to come!
  10. The Heater

Lots of folks might be interested who are on a budget. Don't forget to post your cost bill and what labor you performed yourself.