1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Auto 4wd problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Lil_Red_Chevy, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

Have a question I drive a 04 1500 w/z71 and just recently it seems like whenever I push the auto 4wd button the front differential kicks in. Everything was working great this winter up until about a week ago I noticed the 4wd was kicking in even on dry pavement. Does anyone know a good place to start for troubleshooting it?
  2. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

When was the last time you changed the fluid in the transfer case? It obviously thinks that the rear tires are slipping and is engaging the front diff. I'd start there and then chase wires if that doesn't help.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The fluid has nothing to do with this problem. Are all your tires properly/evenly inflated? I presume they are a matching set. All the same size/brand/tread with even wear on them.
  4. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

Actually I just bought the truck used and the tires clearly hadn't been rotated. So, I just took the front tires, which still have a ton of tread,and rotated them to the back. So, now my truck has the good tires in the back and the tires with almost no tread in front. If the bad tires are the cause of my problem would it be better to just replace the two bad tires or replace the whole set just for the sake of even tread wear?
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you like the tires, then buy two new ones. Auto4wd should be only used for snowy roads, maybe very wet roads. If you are stuck, or the snow is very deep, just use 4Hi. If the road is dry, 2Hi only.

Also, check the tire pressure. Without knowing what size/load range you are running, it's tough to give super accurate advice. But if they are LT tires, Load Range D or E start at 40 in the fronts and 35 in the rears.
  6. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

how long have you owned the truck, and how long has this been doing it? did it start doing it when you changed the tires?

are you sure its actually engaging the front end? my front end certainly has a different sound to it when I put it in auto, but I don't think its engaged.
  7. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy Rockstar

Thanks for the advice I had a feeling it was something simple. I was going to either put a 2" lift on w/4 new tires and wheels or just buy two new tires this spring anyway. It just depends on how I want to budget my tax refund this year.