GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

auto parts store

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by rf58, Jul 8, 2012.

1. rf58

rf58 New Member

just wondering how you gm guys and gals rate these stores we have 3 in a row nappa auto zone and a o reillys. i lean twards o reillys.
  2. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider New Member

Well it doesn't matter to me, I have 2 o'rileys right next to me so since they are closer that's where I go. Otherwise I do most of my shopping online!
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I prefer O'Reilly over VatoZone or Sadvance any day. But that's only iffen I can't get the parts from the local ACD supplier (Holme's Auto Supply OR Berg GMC dealership)... I hate sending my money to some billionaire who doesn't need it. Support local economy!
    :sign0021:
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member

I'm a napa guy all the way! Never had a problem with any of their parts and thats also where we get a lot of tractor parts so it makes it convenient to go there.
  5. BoneHead

BoneHead New Member

I've only got 4 options here in my home town. O'Reiley, Car Quest, Napa, and the local dealer. I usually go to O'Reiley because they're open when I'm working on my rig and the Napa here in town is WAY too expensive. Majority of the parts are 25% higher than the other places for the same pieces. I actually prefer the Car Quest here. It's used to be a small, locally owned place. Been in business for years ( I can remember going there with my grandpa when I was about 6). Most of the same guys still work there. Still has that locally owned attitude, however, they're only open until 5:30 weekdays when I'm at work, and 8 to noon on Sat, closed Sun. That's when I'm usually working on stuff.
  6. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

I prefer anything but NAPA, after the way they dumped all their reps. They gave no cobra, no disability insurance to those they owed it, no real reason for termination. 4 have since passed away as they had no health insurance. Many others had to use their 401k's and retirement(taking penalties) to survive.
    NAPA is highly overpriced and highly marked up in comparison to others. I prefer Ac Delco parts and can usually get from a wholesaler.
  7. rf58

rf58 New Member

that is good --- like the responce and reasoning.
    being open late is a good thing i like to look at how long the guys have been working there too. that nappa policy stinks.
    lets hope they are watching.. did you ever notice when you go in to a place how the employees great you. THAT MEANS A LOT TO ME.
  8. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Most guys welcome me by name , at the places I buy from. I am well known in the parts business in this area. So that helps but most good parts stores try to know their regulars and treat them well.
  9. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

Also another reason i enjoy going to locally owned places. Greetings are usually something along the line of "Damn, BJ is here... what'd you blow up now man?!" HAHAHA
  10. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Yup thats the kind of parts store, or any store , we need to support. When I ran a store I tried to remember every customer and call them by name. Not always possible but I figure 80% of my regulars knew my name and I theirs. I also knew there vehicles and made sure I had inventory so they need not wait for a delivery to come in.
  11. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

I use Ac Delco parts on my trucks but if i need something for the wifeys car or one of her family members vehicles i use NAPA...
  12. jnbama

jnbama Member

And they are open early Sunday mornings in Memphis, TN for the correct GM curved heater hose to get my yappin' Aunt back on the road to Texas.Wasted two hours at Auto don't know Zones
  13. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member

I prefer autozone over the others, such nice people.... and i kinda work there lol. we dont have an o'reilly's up here so its just napa, advanced auto, autozone, or an auto value. but even before i was hired, i preferred autozone > the rest just because of the service. i used to go to the locally owned ones but the people there just werent very helpful....ever. you cant really say you like one company over another because, a lot of the times, its the workers that make or break your experience. theres a couple autozones that id prefer not go to before going to advanced, napa, etc.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  14. rf58

rf58 New Member

You are right it is all about attitude
    my definition of attitude is
    it is the way you tell your self you can or you can't do something.
  15. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban New Member

O'Reilly's all the way for parts to keep the truck going. Or make it faster. For making it pretty AutoZone.
  16. rf58

rf58 New Member

i think so i have brake problems the abs light is on
  17. 19suburban96

19suburban96 New Member

Napa gets my vote in my area. I'd rather walk into a greasy old parts store staffed by seasoned help than a bright shiny store. Oreilly and autozone have people working there who know nothing and give out wrong information as well as wrong parts.
  18. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

All depends on what type of part I am trying to get. What time of the day I am doing repairs and on some things price.

Napa- used alot as always have stuff in stock as one of their wharehouses is close by. Use it for suspension parts for the truck. when I am trying to get something to work on my Land Rover instead of ordering through a supplier, as I cant get any parts for it at any chain part store, I will go to a Napa as they seem (at least in the past) to have more reference material and older experienced people that will look for things that will work. Alot of the time its first choice.

O'rielly- probably the next most frequented. good selection, closer than NAPA, so I go there if I need something simple and generic. better hours than Napa.

Carquest- close by so i will check if o'reilly or Autozone dont have anything.

Autozone- I go there if I am looking mostly at price or just generic things as it is also just down the street. Sometimes they will stock more than O'reilly.

Summitracing- I look there alot as well if I dont need something right away and depending on what category I am looking in as certain things are more upgrade mods more than repair. Somethings are much cheaper (that are same brand as autozone and O'reilly), but no sales tax and S&H is 12.99 most of the time. so if its still cheaper I will get it that way.

Fortunately Napa, O'reilly, and Autozone I can look things up first online to see what they have in stock, prices etc.
  19. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I really only go to autozone or the others if I have a coupon for something. They have been putting $25 off of $75 or more on their facebook page. I prefer to go to the small independently owned parts store in town. This place is a tiny building that is a mess inside. But, the owner knows his stuff and will bend over backwards to find what you need. He also has a machine shop so he cuts rotor, mills heads, and so on. I have seen guys go in there with broken parts from the ride on lawn tractors and he will somehow fabricate a fix for almost anything. Yes, he may cost a few bucks more than the chain but again, keeping the money local.
  20. lindadale

lindadale New Member

Nice discussions.I have my own truck and i always need to go auto stores.But i just love to do shop online rather than to go stores so i personally always prefer to online shops or stores