1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Auto ride problems on 05 Yukon XL 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by joscibo, Jun 6, 2013.

1. joscibo

joscibo New Member

Autoride compressor no longer functions and the shocks need replacing. Looking for advise on a economical fix. Used compressor and new shocks? Aftermarket shocks that have a way of fooling the computer that it is functioning? Used compressor on car-part are available but I'm not sure if it would pay if it will be short lived? Is the compressor able to be rebuilt?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You could always buy a set of standard bilstein shocks and install them. You will then have an annoying service ride control light or message. You can buy a pack of resistors at radio shack (around $4) and install them on the sensor wires to get rid of the light. I will try to find the post that says what resistors to use.

- - - Updated - - -

it looks like 10W 2.2ohm resistors will work. Check out this thread, post #2 http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/123655-Autoride personally I would go with bilstein rather than monroe.
  3. joscibo

joscibo New Member

I thought I would bring this back up. I just had a quote on replacing the compressor and shocks! Ouch! $1800 to get it back on track. Does a guy but a compressor off of car-part and shocks as well? Used shocks concern me a bit and I'm sure the compressor failed because of a constant run if the shocks were leaking. Is there a way to test the shocks or do I buy a used compressor and see if my shocks will still function? If the shocks are bad I can buy new or used at that time?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

personally, I would just do away with the system all together as I stated above. You are looking at around $360 for 4 new bilstein shocks and 2 new bilstein rear coil springs. The new rear air ride shocks alone will cost you that.

I have not seen compressor rebuild kits. you could probably run air from a garage compressor to check the shocks. But, if it is a slow leak you may never find it. I would not waste the money. Arnott makes replacement air shocks for it, but they are $350 for the kit. not worth it in my opinion. I would not buy used, you may just be wasting money on someone elses problem.