1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Auto Ride Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by richinmn, Oct 23, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. richinmn

richinmn New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope someone may be able to answer a question. I have a 2003 Suburban that has burned up 3 compressors.
    I think they fail due to a horrible location and Minnesota winters. I have also replaced the rear shocks. The third pump has not cycled for a couple months now and the last time I did hear it didn't sound good. I have never had any system failure notifications on the dash. I don't tow with this vehicle anymore so the leveling system is really not needed. My question is this: do the shocks still act as basic shock absorbers even if the pump is not working? I recently put new tires on it and don't want to shorten the tire life due to shocks. Also, I really feel any difference in the ride between when the system is working and not. I hope someone out there has a good understanding of this system and can shed some light on this for me. Thanks
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The shocks will act as normal, as long as there is air in the sealed system. If it finds a way out because of a line leak, a compressor leak, or an internal shock leak then you will basically have no shocks. The shocks use the air to "cushion" the piston. You can always switch to bilstein shocks all the way around. But, that will drop the rear about an inch. So, you would need to replace the rear coil springs. (Just did this on my truck) Then you need to add resistors to the connector at all 4 shocks to eliminate the message that will show up on your DIC. I think that it cost my $260 for all four shocks. The springs are $90 a piece. But, it you are patient and look around you can get them cheaper. (Found mine for $49 each).
  3. richinmn

richinmn New Member

Thanks for the info. I think first I will check the leveler sensors, but, my guess is I will have to pony up for another pump. I can't believe the GM engineers thought it a good idea to place that pump directly behind the rear wheel, in the line of fire of water, dirt, road salt, snow, rocks, road kill and whatever ! Thanks again
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It may be cheaper to just get rid of the system.