1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Auto to manual....5.3 vortec chevy...how to and is it simple

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ChevyCrazy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ChevyCrazy

ChevyCrazy New Member

I know you have to use the T-56 transmission and thats no big deal for me cause i have one already...and my auto tranny just went out in my 99 chevy swb 4x4 just wanted to get some helpfull hints and to see if its hard or can i do it in my garage thanks fellas im new to this so bare with me thanks

Cody
  2. ChevyCrazy

ChevyCrazy New Member

somthing to add

the t-56 is the 6 speed tranny out of the firebird and camaros...which would be ultramega badass
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

It would be a lot of work not to mention the computer problems you would have to deal with.

1. Computer
    2. Flywheel
    3. Motor Plate
    4. Cross Member
    5. Wiring Harnesses
    5. Drive Shaft.
    6. Clutch, Pressure Plate, TO Bearing
    7. Master Cyl.
    8. Clutch Pedal Assembly and Cross Shaft.
    9. Neutral Safety Switch.
  4. ChevyCrazy

ChevyCrazy New Member

thanks a lot

but seein how they didnt make the 5 speed for the 5.3 which doesnt make sense at all i mean i could see gm not putting a 5.3 in a two wheel drive swb with a 5 speed cause that would just be wicked...but could i use a manual tranny from the 4.8 vortec and just get the adapter...and maybe use all the electronic and everything you had listed there....sorry to change the subject but im just trying to figure out my options...thanks
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Sure you could. Find a donor truck to get all the parts and it would be cheap too!.