auto trans problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by interceptor429, Jan 4, 2010.

1. interceptor429

interceptor429 New Member

just had a 1995 silverado 2500 ext cab 4x4 shortbed given to me ,needs work .....so here i am guys i need your input and help.
    1.) the trans is a 4l60e ,no reverse,all forward are good.i have a good 700r4 from a 89 silverado 4x4 thats good motor locked.....will that trans work in the 95 and what do i need to do to make it work?

2.)rear cab corners rusted out bad ,is there a replacement patch or panel for that?

3.)and what mods would you guys recommend ?

thank you in advance guys....keith ,the newbie:happy:

2. interceptor429

anybody have an idea

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your best bet is to get the correct transmission. Using the 700 would cause other problems as the engine and transmission are a package and work together.

4. interceptor429

isn't the 4l60e just a renamed 700r4 ?......lots of the same parts and all ,so will it work?

5. Jimmiee

It's exactly the same trans except it's controlled by the PCM along with the engine. The PCM controls the engine economyAND performance with the help of the transmission. Installing a 700 would be like the doctor cutting off one of your legs. You could still hop from point A to point B couldn't you? <G>

6. interceptor429

thats funny .....as i only have a right leg ,lost the left one july 07........ ok thanks for the input

7. Jimmiee

Sorry to hear that. That was a very poor analogy on my part.:neutral:

8. interceptor429

no problem .....i thought it to be quite funny,.....thanks for the help ,i'll just have to find a good 4l60e,....thanks again....and i liked that analogy