Auto trans temp gauge

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 1grumpyd, Jan 8, 2012.

1. 1grumpyd

1grumpyd New Member

Just curious, can a water temp gauge be used for auto trans temp? A friend and I have a bet going.....

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

in theory its possible as long as its hooked up with the right sensor.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm sure it could, but the first problem would be connecting to the correct sensor leads and the second problem would be getting it to read right, the two fluids have different viscosities and that would affect the readings.

4. 1grumpyd

1grumpyd New Member

The sending unit I have is a bulb that goes in the fluid. Its not an electronic gauge. would this make a differance?

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The older bulb style would work but again I'm not sure how accurate it would be due to the viscosity of you fluids, this has an affect on the readings just not sure how much.
    Another issue would be where you place the sensor, there is a huge temp difference throughout the transmission and if you have a trans cooler that would make a big difference too.
    Depending on where your sensor is placed you could be reading cooled fluid temp, max fluid temp, or normal running temp.