Auto transmission fluid change

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by shotgunner, Jan 30, 2010.

1. shotgunner

shotgunner New Member

I just purchased a 1994 suburban with 211000 miles on it. Every thing on the truck seems to work just fine. It is time for the oil to be changed and i am not sure when the previous owner had the transmission fluid changed. My question is, should i go ahead and change the filter and fluid in the transmission? The reason that i am asking this is because somebody once told me that when your vehicle gets this kind of high mileage, dont change the transmission filter and fluid. If i do need to go ahead change all of this, is there a special type of fluid for high mileage transmissions?

2. eds69s

eds69s New Member

I changed the fluid in my Silverado at 198,000. I changed filter along with a fresh refill of Mobil ATF. The truck now has 251,000 miles and still shifts and runs fine. I had just purchased the truck and have no idea what kind of maintance it had before this.

3. shotgunner

shotgunner New Member

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No problem servicing your transmission. If the fluid is still red in color just a pan drop and filter change is all that's needed but if the fluid is brown or yellow colored then flush the trans and get all the old oil out of there. Mobil 1 or any good synthetic oi compatable with Dextron l is good.