1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Automatic Lights, how do i turn them off?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by $ilverado, Feb 22, 2009.

1. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

i currently drive a 2000 chevy silverado.
    im looking for a way to turn my lights off even when its dark out.
    on my lights knob. i have off, parking lights and driving lights.

even when my knob
    is palced in the off posistion my lights are still on.

im looking for a way to turn them off,

i understand that if i turn my truck off and start it with the ebrake on, that my auto lights wont work.
    but im looking for a way in which i can drive. with them off or idle with them off. without restarrting the vehicle.
  2. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

automatic lights will turn on your headlights and running lights when it gets too dark out. to override this simply reselect your desired setting on the lightswitch. to deactivate your DRL's (daytime running lights) you can pull the fuse, or i believe there is a sequence of pushing buttons on the earlier gmt800 trucks that will deactivate it thru the computer. i personally would just locate the fuse(s) in the fuse box that says DRL and pull it out. your headlights and automatic lights will still work as long as the fuses for those remain in.
  3. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

yes yes, i have already pulled the fuse for the DRL. but im talknig about my main driving lights.
    im looking for a way to turn off my lights, all lights DRL parking and driving, at night. simply.
  4. rotaryenginepete

you should be able to just turn them off, but you have to be in drive when you do it. if you turn them off in park, and then put it into gear then they will come back on and you have to turn them off again while in drive. i can't think of anything else...
  5. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

no, even in park, the second i turn the ignition, even if lights are placed in off posistion, they will turn on.

by the power of the automatic light turn on sensor due to the darkness.
  6. rotaryenginepete

yeah i think there's a special combo to do that. i think. i will have to look into it.
  7. dpscranton

dpscranton New Member

i have an 02 silverado and on mine if you press the "dome override" button 3 times it turns the automatic sensor off and you have to use the switch. idk if it is the same for yours but thats how i do it in mine
  8. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

wow cool, thanks im gonna try it out tonight.

thanks for the help.
    i will get back to you and tell you if it works.
  9. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

ya it worked thank you so much
  10. dpscranton

dpscranton New Member

noo problem happy to help