Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Automatic Shift Linkage on 1995 Suburban Sticking in Park

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bimmer84, Jul 16, 2012.

1. bimmer84

bimmer84 Member

Every once in awhile my shifter will not shift out of Park. I am about to take a long trip so I don't want to get stranded somewhere because it won't go into gear.

Can someone confirm for me whether or not the brake pedal must be depressed to shift out of Park? It is a K1500 '95 Suburban. I am wondering if there is a solenoid somewhere that keeps it in Park until the brake is depressed. Maybe that solenoid is sticking and not releasing the linkage? Or maybe the linkage is loose if there is no solenoid present?

Thanks!

2. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

I am pretty sure you need to step on the brake before shifting it out of P.
    However, I do recall my kid put the key in my sub and able to shift it out of P while engine was not running (rolled out from my drive way)

3. bimmer84

bimmer84 Member

Thanks, yes I have determined that you have to step on the brake. It appears that if I wait a few seconds longer than normal, it will allow it to come out of park. I suppose a solenoid somewhere is moving slowly, or sticking a little. If I jump in, push the brake, and quickly shift out of Park, then it won't come out. If anyone knows, I would like to know where all this is controlled. I am assuming that sensors detect that the brake is pushed, and then release the shift cable, maybe down around the transmission somewhere?