Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Automatic Transmission Question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by alwayssomething, May 14, 2009.

1. alwayssomething

alwayssomething New Member

Hello everyone I am new here and have a question about automatic transmissions that has bothered me for years. I have a Suburban 4x4 with 230k on it and no history. The tranny fluid is dirty and I have noticed slight slipping when I am working it hard. The question is do I change fluid & filter ? If I do change it how can you empty the torque converter also? Please tell me what experience you have had. Thanks very much

2. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Here's how I do it. Pull the pan and replace the filter. Clean and replace the pan. Fill the transmission with 6 quarts of oil. Remove the return line from the radiator to the transmission which is usually the top line "out" of the radiator.

This is the tricky part. I have made a hose that plugs into the top radiator fitting as I kave the push in fittings. You will have to make one of these or some people cut the cooler line and add a compression fitting.

Next run a hose from the top radiator fitting to a bucket. Start the engine and fluid will return from the top radiator to your bucket. Now add about 5 more quarts as the old oil is coming out. If you cant do this fast enough and the fluid stops coming out then turn off the engine and finish adding the 5 quarts. A side note her is if your fluid is real dirty you may need up to 20 quarts to get it red again. Once you have flushed the oil out repair the cooler lines and top oof the transmission. It will take a couple of quarts more.

This is a lot of work for someone who does not have the necessary equipment at hand. If you don't have the tools then just take your truck to a quick lube and have them flush it. Then drop the pan and change the filter.

4. alwayssomething

alwayssomething New Member

Thanks for the info and I will change the fluid , filter soon hopefully that will do the trick.