1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Autoride

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blackburb, May 19, 2013.

1. blackburb

blackburb Rockstar 100 Posts

Back when I was researching a newer Burb, I had found the info on the difference between Autoride systems on 1/2 & 3/4 tons. Now that I actually have my Burb here (3/4 ton), I can't find the info. I seem to remember the 3/4 ton system is something much simpler than the 1/2 ton. Anyone know?

2. 1txcarpenter

1txcarpenter New Member

Z55 Autoride Shock Conversion Kit/ Shock Replacement

i just registered on this page because I've seen posts about the z55 Autoride before. It is a good suspension system and very comfortable; however, replacement shocks seem to be very expensive. I am not sure of the difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton z55, but I wanted to let everyone know that i did find a less expensive alternative to the oem replacement shocks. Monroe Max_Air shocks, Part # 90012. Available at Oreilly's Auto Parts. It is the conversion kit for converting the active electronic and air suspension to passive with air adjustable ride height. All 4 shocks, 4 resistors, and plain and simple installation instructions. $168.00 plus tax. About 2 hours to install everything. No Codes on dash. Compressor kicks on just like it always did. And they are a fairly nice ride too. With this kit, there is no need to flash the computer to turn off the autoride. You just splice in a resistor and thats it. You can remove it later if you decide to go back to oem equipment. I'm pretty satisfied with the results. And I have been putting it off for a couple of months. The rubber air bladders were weathered and cracking causing my compressor to kick on more and more. After reading several posts about trying to turn it off, I finally just unplugged the on board compressor behind the driver's side rear wheel. This saved my compressor, and I didn't get any codes on my dash. Another alternative if your short on dough is the monroe Max-Air #MA830. These are just the rear air shocks, but no resistors come with them. $78.00 from Oreilly's. The resistors in the kit were labeled " Jinshan 10W2.2ohmJ" The packaging was labeled Rancho Suspension P01510 r3061. Just in case any of you want to try Radio Shack for the resistors. Anyways, I hope this helps. ALL 4 Shocks & Resistors for well under $200!!!!! and i get to keep the autoride if i want to go back to oem.
    Good Luck and feel free to message me.

3. blackburb

I'm still searching for info. Found this on an RV forum:

"If I recall, Autoride was standard with the 8.1L, but the Autoride on the 3/4 ton isn't the same as on the 1/2 ton. It is only the automatic variable dampening shocks vs the autoleveling that also comes on the 1/2 tons"

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So are you saying that there are not air lines running to the shocks on your 3/4 ton? I had a heck of a time figuring out what shocks I needed for my "premium smooth ride" suspension. Shockwarehouse.com had some good info on their site for me. Turns out that if I want to replace the stock Nivomat shocks ($389 each) with standard shocks I need to change the rear coil springs also.

5. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

6. blackburb

Great link, thanks for posting it.