aux 12v power to factory trailer plug

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by lazypine, Apr 26, 2013.

1. lazypine

lazypine New Member

Hi, New to this forumand i have a question to start. I have a 2008 Chevy 3500HD crew cab long bed single rear wheel Duramax with Allison with factory brake box and towing package. I tow an 18ft gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters that has a coach battery that is used for the breakaway source as well. I realized when my wife used the trailer for a long weekend that the truck was not charging the coach battery that I do not have 12v at the rear plug of the truck. Upon further investigation I read in the owners manual that there is a wire that needs to be connected in the engine compartment. There are two studs at the front of the fuse box in the engine compartment. One (closest to the engine) has a wire connected to it. the second stud(closest to the fender) is empty. Is there a wire hidden somewhere along the fender well that needs to be connected to that stud? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Any reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks ,Neal
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Yes It should be in a wire bundle coming from the rear of the truck. Check under the brake booster, and around the fuse box.
  3. Jaele

Jaele Member

hes Correct its a red cable, you will connect to the stud that is towards the outside of the fuse box, you will need a fuse and a nut.
  4. lazypine

lazypine New Member

Thanks for the quick response. The truck isnt here at the moment. Aren't the two studs already fused from inside the fuse box? I'm assuming the stud closest to the engine is powering the "in dash" break controller. Will be able to dig into this when I have the truck here. Thanks, Neal
  5. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member

Welcome to the forum!

I just sent you a Personal Message. Reply with your email address and I will send you something to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Got your PM, email sent. Sorry for the delay...
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I don't know why Jake is being so secretive, but there should be two wires and two studs. The studs are different sizes and the hole in the wire connectors are different sizes (match the sizes and you won't scew up).

One wire is for a 3rd party trailer brake controller and the other wire is for the charging system of the on-board battery.

As @Jaele suggests, you will need fuses and nuts.
  7. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member

No secrets here Ray... Sometimes pictures help, with me anyway...when I had my first 2007 NBS it went back to the factory for noisy back seats and wen my neighbour ( he was quality control for NBS here in Oshawa) asked if there was anything else I mentioned the trailer wiring hook ups. They put together a PowerPoint with pictures and some instructions and gave it to me. I've asked a few times on how to post it here... but there always was some issue. I've sent it to a few folks here and would posted as everyone I send it to seems appreciative... So if you know how I can send it to you or I can see if I can do it now...
    Nope... to big ...
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  8. Jaele

Jaele Member

Ill send you my email and give it a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the walk-through
    If you are only looking at hooking up the 12v aux, skip to the last two photos.

Thanks to [MENTION=25770]jake's silverado[/MENTION] for supplying this guide. I only uploaded and posted it

Attached Files:

9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Nice info Jake, [MENTION=25770]jake's silverado[/MENTION], and @Jaele, thanks
  10. lazypine

lazypine New Member

I found the two wires, but the one between the fuse block and fender was marked 12v aux. when I hooked it to the stud I couldn't figure out where the wire went. I'm thinking that wire goes under the dash for an aftermarket brake box. I found the one under the master cylinder and hooked it up and Hooray! Power to the trailer plug. The only thing I don't like is that it's always hot. On my old truck I wired this line thru a continuous duty solonoid that was wired to a ign hot. That way my trailer, if being used, won't run the truck batteries dead when parked. Thanks for all of the great info, Neal
  11. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member

You could always break that circuit with a relay that is connected to an ignition switched source.
  12. Nitehawk

Nitehawk New Member

OK I got one for yeah.... I have a 2008 suburban hooked this up good and proper. Aux brake controller and all.

Today I sold my old camper trailer to a couple who have a 2009 Yukon , never towed before and they just assumed that they would hook it up and all was good to go...haha , Well since i would not let the trailer go without confirming that they had brakes on the trailer. I went about and tested it first..no power to the brakes or trailer , pop the hood and discovered that both red wires were not connected to the proper studs,dug out the wires and connected them to the proper studs and then proceeded to verify again power to the trailer wiring. still nothing at the hitch. this vehicle had a factory brake controller so i presumed it was not necessary to crawl under the dash to connect it... So pulled the fuses for the studs and verified they were good, checked power on the stud . no power:grrrrrr: . not possible you say.. well you are right. after talking to the owner of the truck, i decided that i will clean the studs. well that seemed to have done the trick. i removed the connections cleaned the studs good, tested power at the studs again . All it took was a little coat of corrosion to break the contact to prevent power to the stud. so i tested again at the hitch to make sure i had power . >>> well no i am now stumped on this last problem . maybe some one can give me an idea on what to do next.

I have power for my brakes now but not for my aux 12 V. at the hitch. both studs at the fuse box give me 12 V. since it is a factory installed brake controller and it seems to be working i am not worried about that, but since the trailer requires a battery connection for the breakaway switch to activate the brakes in case of emergency, as well as keeping the battery charged for the aux battery in the trailer i would like to get that aux 12 volt to work.
    Did i overlook a fuse somewhere else that needs to be connected or am i leaning more toward a broken wire somewhere along the way between the front and back of the truck?

I am hoping to help these people avoid a trip to a garage if possible. I know it is not my responsibility to fix this problem..but who can not help a fellow GM owner.:lol:
  13. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Probably missing one of the J-case fuses. Check to see if there's a dummy plug (or no plug) in stud #1. That's usually the case for NBS trucks like mine ... and it's that dummy plug that needs to be removed and replaced with a 40 amp J-case fuse to supply +12v aux power to the charging pin (usually pin#4) of the 7-spade connector.

Here's a good write-up for a NBS truck: http://tinyurl.com/c493z89

NNBS trucks like yours or that Yukon may be similar... so perhaps it'll help. As I don't have a NNBS truck, myself, and have not been through this with one, I can only speculate and hope for you.
  14. Nitehawk

Nitehawk New Member

thanks for the tip but i have powwer on both studs now just not on the hitch wiring. just hoped there was another fuse somewhere that needed to be activated or replaced. thanks
  15. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

The fuse I referred to is required to supply power to the +12v aux wire for pin 4 at the hitch in NBS trucks.

I guess the NNBS trucks are different and don't have a fuse for it? That's surprising...
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  16. Nitehawk

Nitehawk New Member

well as a quick fix until i can figure out if i have a break in the wire or something is not connected properly I ran a separate wire from the Stud direct to pin 4 and all is working as it should.
  17. Jaele

Jaele Member

You are correct, its hidden under the dash for an aftermarket break controller.