1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aux lights install

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SmokeU, Oct 24, 2009.

1. SmokeU

SmokeU Rockstar 100 Posts

so last week I had broken my fog lights and now have a new set

probblem is I cant figure out what is wrong with them and why they wont light up

the only thing I have noticed is that on my switch it has a little light in it that turns on when you turn the switch to the on position that is not turning on so that might be some some indication of the probblem

or the problem could be that the lights just suck and don't work... I don't know so any help would be appreciated and if pics are needed then I can get some
  2. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Are they stock fog lights? or are they custom? I suggest you try working the fog lights without a switch, maybe by touching the wires together. Good luck
  3. SmokeU

no they arent the stock ones

there big 100W ones that go on the brushguard
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Check for power to the switch, check your grounds, check for broken wires / blown fuses from when the other lights got broken.
    You can "bench test" the new lights by touching the wires across the battery - watch your eyes!

Good luck,
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

X2 on checking the lights directly off the battery, I had a set of PIAA lights that the LED indicator on the switch burned out (I didn't know that at the time) and I tore apart the whole truck only to find out that there was nothing wrong at all just a bad indicator light. A broken wire could be a possibility as well, if those two things are not messed up then the lights are probably bad.
  6. SmokeU

ok so we used the wiring and switch that came with the lights and it works just fine but it wont work with my existing wiring and relay

I'm thinking its because the system has like a fuse box with a 20 amp fuse in it and there is no relay
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What kind of lights are these, because I know my PIAA's are funny about stuff like that as well. They come with there own terminated wiring harness, so you have to use what they give you instead of existing wiring. My KC's are just generic wiring with a fuse and relay, that is definatley interesting that it didn't work with the other wiring. Well at least this way you get to start off with new wiring, good luck with the new system.
  8. SmokeU

its a cheapy harbor freight brand that I have no clue as to why I got them but I am thinking I will just get a better system