Aux tank in 1500HD - I need more gas!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by toyracer83, Jul 24, 2013.

1. toyracer83

toyracer83 New Member

I need more gas in my truck... GM put one piss-ant sized tank in these. Anybody done a aux tank with gas? I'm thinking 40-60 gallons in the bed. Probably a fuel tank/toolbox combo. Use a stock or generic style sending unit/pump combo and wire it to a gauge and timer in the cab. I can make the fitting to tie a fuel line to the fill neck hose so I can pump it to the stock tank. My biggest concern is the venting or tying the vent to the evap system in the truck.
    Anybody tried it?

2. kgauck

kgauck New Member

Idk what the laws are NC but you might want to check before doing this. Gasoline has an extremely different flash point then diesel. It's much lower and because of this it's usually illegal to have an aux tank in the bed. Idk man I'd look into it being legal befor you move forward. I was told a guy got some serious fine. Good luck though.

3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

A friend of mine has gas and diesel dispensing tanks on his property(gravity fed). He has someone come out and fill the tanks up every once in a while. This might be an option for you.

4. toyracer83

toyracer83 New Member

I just have to stop for gas too often. Specially on trips. If I'm towing it's really bad. I got spoiled with the 42 gallon tank on my old diesel burb.