Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by skeeter62, Jul 6, 2006.

1. skeeter62

skeeter62 New Member

Am considering the installation of a 30 -50 gallon chevy auxiliary tank to give me extended range when towing my 5th wheel. Anyone had any experience or words of caution about auxiliary tanks. Thanks

2. RichardG

RichardG New Member

I put a box-shaped 105 gal. capacity fuel tank behind the cab in the bed of my PU. I used a hand cranked fuel transfer pump to put the gas into the trucks tank when I was away from gas stations, prices were too high, no stations using my gas card, etc. This arrangement worked great except for the cranking part so this year I added a 12V electric transfer pump mounted permanently to the tank. This gives me an added 1200 miles between necessary fill-ups. Plumbing a tank of this configuration into the trucks existing fuel system is possible but complicated and costly and my set-up is easily removeable when necessary. ALL PRECAUTIONS REGARDING USING AND TRANSPORTING GASOLINE SHOULD BE OBSERVED! PROPER GROUNDING AND VENTING IS A MUST! MANY PLACES WILL NOT ALLOW ACCESS FOR VEHICLES WITH THIS TYPE OF SET-UP, I.E. Hoover Dam, Galveston Ferry, Caldecott Tunnel, to name a few in our post-911 world.
    GM OEM