Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

AV 1500 vs silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by freddie, Dec 14, 2012.

1. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

I have own both Silverado 1500 and now and AV 1500. I thought that they were one in the same with the set up for towing capabilities until to day. Both trucks were/are Z71s 4x4. I havecould towed cars on my old silverado no problem and today i went and borrowed a buddys car hauler for the first time with my AV and it squatted the rear something awful. Nothing like my old silverado. It could handle most anything i could throw at it within reason. Is there anything i can do to make the towing capabilities better on my AV without spending alot of money? I know its classed as a suv and not really a truck but i need/want it to be both for me. Thanks

2. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 Member

Silverados have leaf springs and Avalanches have coil springs (I believe). This allows for a much smoother ride in the Avalanche but towing capacity suffers as a result. Getting airbags for the rear suspension will add approx 1000-1500 lbs of towing capacity, and depending on the weight get a weight distributing hitch and you will notice quite a different in the squat and ride quality.

3. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You also have somewhat less the total payload of a Silverado.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Using a weight distributing (equalizing) hitch will solve the problem. Even the Silverado should be using the proper hitch.

Just an FYI to the previous posters and for any future posters.................. this thread is 8 months old and the op hasn't been on the site for 4 months.

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How exactly do weight distributing hitches work? The weight of the trailer is the weight of the trailer. If you're towing a 5,000 lbs boat, the type of hitch doesn't make it weigh any less.

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I've ridden in an Avalanche and I really cannot tell the difference in ride quality from it and my leaf spring equipped Silverado. If ride quality is such an important factor, vehicles with truck chassis should not be on the list.

7. cbroberts88

cbroberts88 Member

Going from a Z71 Silverado to the Avalanche I was able to notice the difference. It felt like a much smoother ride going over bumps and such. I do miss the gas mileage I got with the Silverado, though.

8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The Z71 is an off road suspension, so it's going to be a harsher ride. My Silverado is 2WD so its suspension is more forgiving.

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I rode in a 2005 suburban the other day. It rode pretty rough compared to my 2005 yukon xl. The suburban had leafs, my yukon xl has coil springs.