GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

AV guy's help pls

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Mean_Green_95, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

I just installed all new door speakers in my truck. I used to listen at volume 20-25, now volume 5-10 is equivalent to that, lol.

I have a BOSS 850 mono block pushing all the new door speakers. When ever I get to volume 15 my amp shuts off. Anyone know why?

Lastly, I need to install a CAP in the truck now. In my 95, I ran the power wire to the CAP, then the fuse, then distribution block, then to the amps. Is it ok to leave my fuse before the CAP, then have the distribution block?

Thanks in advanced!
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

What type of speakers are you using. Mono Block amps are normally made for subwoofers, 2channel amps are made for both(As long as the channels can be bridged), and 4 channels are strictly for speakers. 5 Channel amps are for both(4 channels for speakers and the 5th being a higher wattage channel for subs.). Check all your grounds and connections. So you have the inline fuse right before the cap? Or after? The inline fuse should be around your battery.
  3. 01tahoefiend

01tahoefiend New Member

monoblock amp

I would agree if your using a mono block amp to run all your door speakers the ohm rating will not be right, you could try turning the gain down on the amp that will help a bit but it will still most likely go into shutdown mode to protect it. 850 on door speakers is a little overkill, probaly why it is so loud at 5:money:
  4. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member

Check all of the wires running into and out of the amp, including speakers.

If any of the wires are fraid and touch another signal wire, at volume the breaker could shut off the amp.:gasp:
  5. Randomsoleil

Randomsoleil New Member

what is proabably happening is because you are using somewhat of the wrong amp for the application you are actually overheating the amp causing it to shut down. Make sure first the amp is in a ventalated area. second make sure all you fuses are in good working order if one is poped do not replace it with a higher amp as this may cause the system to overload and blow a speaker or your amp. as far as the cap i never pushed that much power and unless you are pushing a sub you really dont need one in my experiance
  6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

I'm going to get a 400 watt 2 channel amp for the doors when I get a chance.

My fuse is by the battery. Is it ok to have the fuse before the cap or should I move it to after the CAP?
    And I am running a sub so I need to put a CAP in, and since I have one laying around, why not use it, right?
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

Yea the fuse is fine. It's supposed to be before the cap. A cap isn't necessary, but it's fine to add one. Their really a thing of the past.
  8. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

I've heard that caps are a thing of the past before. Why is that exactly? But since I have a nice one laying around I might as well use it.
  9. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Caps are a "bump sell" for retails such as myself. I don't sell them as see myself as one of the honest guys. Here's the deal with a cap. All it really is, is a second, smaller battery.

If your alternator is strained by your system with the current electrical system, how could it possibly be good to ask it to try to keep up AND to now try to fill up two "batteries"? If anything, it is actually harder on your vehicle than it is good.

As far as your monoblock, everyone is on the right track but there are a few things to also know. Your sub amp does not have the proper high frequency crossovers as a proper amp either. You are going to damage or destroy them. I'd stop using it completely. Monoblocks are also usually a Class D amp which means that they have a higher distortion rate that the multi channel class A or Class A/B amps because sub amp don't need to be as clean as speaker amps. I'd turn it off man and wait to do it properly before you have to start replacing other gear.

That's just my $0.02
  10. Gambit

Gambit New Member

Id kind of like to know why they are a thing of the past aswell. I mean back when i was into all this heavy hitting base a CAP was fresh and the best thing to have.

As for your fuse location it should be before the CAP. you want to protect the CAP from a power surge. The cap itself is always going to give off constant power so a fuse between the CAP and block is pointless.
  11. Gambit

Gambit New Member

I understand what your saying stealth but a Capacitor is designed to charge quickly and disharge slowly. It will keep a constant power suplly to your amp. Granted he is running a wrong set up i am referring to someone with a good set up. The capacitor keeps your headlights from bumping with the music. Back when i had my 1400 watt amp i had nothing but issues until i insatlled the CAP and all was good after that. A Capacitor is more high tech than a battery. It will charge much more quickly and hold power better than any battery.
  12. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

There as always are exceptions. One is the size of cap. Two would be how efficient your alternator is. The lights dimming is a common thing. The BEST solution is a better alternator. Caps were designed for competition, they are great for an instant burst but once the charge is gone while driving around, it puts a tremendous strain on your system which is now trying to keep up with all of that and charge everything.

You could have had all of the moons aligned in your system Gambit, lol.

I'll use a broad statement which of course always has an exception.
    Watch my phrasing ;)

Caps usually are a waste of money and cause more frustration and potential problems than what they're worth.
  13. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I remember when I was 10 or so every system I saw had a cap, but now no one uses them. My lights still dimmed with a Streetwires 3.0 farad cap and I had a yellow top optima with a 2500 watt system. When I took the cap out they didn't dim anymore then what they were. I'm guessing since automotive electrical systems have improved and that there are now batteries that are designed for mobile audio there really is no need for a cap. This subject really seems to be an opinion. One stereo shop will say caps are useless and another shop will say that caps are a very important feature to have in a system. I would rather spend the money on a higher quality battery and wiring. Then after I got those I would save up and get a bigger alt. Try doing the "BIG 3" if your having dimming problems.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  14. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

I figured out why it was cutting off. My input level was on full blast. I feel like an idiot, one of the first things you are supposed to check and I completely missed it. I'm still going to get another amp though. My friend says he might have on for me, so I'll see what he has tomorrow. And I'm still gonna add the cap because I was pushing 2000 watts in my 95 and running that cap and never had a lick of electrical issue.
  15. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

Ok, I just ordered a new amp.

It's a Kenwood KAC-5204 2-Channel 350W

Here are some specs:

2-Channel Class A/B Car Amplifier
    RMS Power Rating:
    4 ohms: 60 watts x 2 chan.
    2 ohms: 75 watts x 2 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 watts x 1 chan.
    Max power output: 175 watts x 2 chan.
    MOSFET switching power supply
    LED power indicator
    Speaker-level inputs
    Short circuit, DC offset, overload, and thermal protection circuitry
    Aluminum die cast heat sink
    Built-in cooling fan
    Gold-plated RCA level inputs
    Gold-plated screw terminals
    Fixed low-pass filter (80 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
    CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
    Frequency response: 5-50,000 Hz
    Dimensions: 7-13/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 9-1/16"D

This should do the trick. What do yall think?
  16. lancer

lancer New Member

i had a 600 watt kenwood amp on one of my infinity 12's before and it would play fine at low volumes but whenever you turned it up and it needed more power it would shut off. come to find my amp had a bad channel. just saying may be something to look at........
  17. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

This is going to be hooked up to my door speakers. But, a bad channel is probably just an isolated incidence. Me and my friend put two Kenwood amps in his Ford Ranger and had no problems. But thanks tho.
  18. lancer

lancer New Member

was just another thought......
  19. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

Ok, I hooked up the amp and GREAT! I would recommend this amp to anyone.