1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AV guy's help pls

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Mean_Green_95, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just installed all new door speakers in my truck. I used to listen at volume 20-25, now volume 5-10 is equivalent to that, lol.

I have a BOSS 850 mono block pushing all the new door speakers. When ever I get to volume 15 my amp shuts off. Anyone know why?

Lastly, I need to install a CAP in the truck now. In my 95, I ran the power wire to the CAP, then the fuse, then distribution block, then to the amps. Is it ok to leave my fuse before the CAP, then have the distribution block?

Thanks in advanced!
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

What type of speakers are you using. Mono Block amps are normally made for subwoofers, 2channel amps are made for both(As long as the channels can be bridged), and 4 channels are strictly for speakers. 5 Channel amps are for both(4 channels for speakers and the 5th being a higher wattage channel for subs.). Check all your grounds and connections. So you have the inline fuse right before the cap? Or after? The inline fuse should be around your battery.
  3. 01tahoefiend

01tahoefiend New Member

monoblock amp

I would agree if your using a mono block amp to run all your door speakers the ohm rating will not be right, you could try turning the gain down on the amp that will help a bit but it will still most likely go into shutdown mode to protect it. 850 on door speakers is a little overkill, probaly why it is so loud at 5:money:
  4. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check all of the wires running into and out of the amp, including speakers.

If any of the wires are fraid and touch another signal wire, at volume the breaker could shut off the amp.:gasp:
  5. Randomsoleil

Randomsoleil New Member

what is proabably happening is because you are using somewhat of the wrong amp for the application you are actually overheating the amp causing it to shut down. Make sure first the amp is in a ventalated area. second make sure all you fuses are in good working order if one is poped do not replace it with a higher amp as this may cause the system to overload and blow a speaker or your amp. as far as the cap i never pushed that much power and unless you are pushing a sub you really dont need one in my experiance
  6. Mean_Green_95

I'm going to get a 400 watt 2 channel amp for the doors when I get a chance.

My fuse is by the battery. Is it ok to have the fuse before the cap or should I move it to after the CAP?
    And I am running a sub so I need to put a CAP in, and since I have one laying around, why not use it, right?
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yea the fuse is fine. It's supposed to be before the cap. A cap isn't necessary, but it's fine to add one. Their really a thing of the past.
  8. Mean_Green_95

I've heard that caps are a thing of the past before. Why is that exactly? But since I have a nice one laying around I might as well use it.
  9. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Caps are a "bump sell" for retails such as myself. I don't sell them as see myself as one of the honest guys. Here's the deal with a cap. All it really is, is a second, smaller battery.

If your alternator is strained by your system with the current electrical system, how could it possibly be good to ask it to try to keep up AND to now try to fill up two "batteries"? If anything, it is actually harder on your vehicle than it is good.

As far as your monoblock, everyone is on the right track but there are a few things to also know. Your sub amp does not have the proper high frequency crossovers as a proper amp either. You are going to damage or destroy them. I'd stop using it completely. Monoblocks are also usually a Class D amp which means that they have a higher distortion rate that the multi channel class A or Class A/B amps because sub amp don't need to be as clean as speaker amps. I'd turn it off man and wait to do it properly before you have to start replacing other gear.

That's just my $0.02
  10. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Id kind of like to know why they are a thing of the past aswell. I mean back when i was into all this heavy hitting base a CAP was fresh and the best thing to have.

As for your fuse location it should be before the CAP. you want to protect the CAP from a power surge. The cap itself is always going to give off constant power so a fuse between the CAP and block is pointless.