1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Average Price?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Big_Ben, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

I have 2004 Silverado, details are in my sig.

I recently noticed it making an awful grinding noise at low speed and while breaking and a high pitched squeaking at high speed until the breaks are applied hard enough. I noticed a large gouge in the front left rotor. So I figured time for new Rotors and pads. Then I thought, well it's getting up there in age and mileage, so maybe I should put new ball joints, bearings, rotors, calipers, pads and shoes on. Thoughts? I won't have time to do it myself unfortunately, but how much would you estimate all of that would cost at an honest shop (I have a very reliable and honest mechanic). I bought it 4-5 years ago with 140,000km on it, now it has 240,000km on it.

So far I have replaced spark plugs, transmission fluid, transfer case and front & rear diff fluid (with AMSOIL) and the brakes haven't needed service since I bought it (they replaced a lot of them when I bought it as part of my conditions of purchase). I could easily get carried away here but I also wouldn't mind new shocks, leaf springs and it would probably be a good idea to replace the fuel filter and change the air filter again. I plan to keep it at least another 3-5 years.

Any comments are appreciated!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would not worry about new calipers and bearings (hubs) unless they are failing, which it does not sound like they are. I don't know what most shops charge to do new rotors and pads. I was in a shop a few weeks ago and I heard them quote a guy $230 for pads all the way around. I have seen dealers offer pads for $99 an axle, but that does not include rotors.
  3. kinson33

kinson33 New Member

4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

A couple years ago, my truck failed the yearly state inspection due to the parking brake not holding. I took it to Pep Boys to get the P-brake working again and they said they needed to replace the rear rotors (but oddly enough, not the fronts???). Two new rear rotors and whatever else needed to be done to get the P-brake working cost me a little over $400.