1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Avoid.. Advance Auto Parts

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by murdog94, Oct 12, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Alright I had been an avid supporter of Advance for several years thank to their competative prices and fairly quick turn around on parts that needed to be ordered. About 2 months ago now (i know slow response on my part lol) i ordered a wheel bearing and a couple of other off the shelf items online since they were givine a 15% discount when you spent more than $100 online (not in stores) so I went to pick up the parts from them at the store, and i had forgotten to click "pick up in store" on the off the shelf items. When i spoke with a sales guy about this he told me "nope cant help you it is a done deal" when all it would have taken was a phone call. Then they couldnt even find the part that they had set aside for me. So this gentleman had been rather curt with me in the past but i was willing to brush it off, until then because why in the heck does he need to be so rude i guess they dont need my business. I went back in and spoke with a manager who pulled up my expenses in the past 3 years with them and it was over $11K. I then told him he had lost any future business with me and i walked out the door. I now buy 95% of my parts from Oreilleys since on my first trip in i had the manager ask me if i wanted an account (gives a discount on purchases automatically) when he overheard me telling them that they need to get used to seeing me since im at the parts store alot. They have been great to me since and i usually get a 20%-40% on most parts and even more on some.
    This may sound petty but to be honest in todays economy i will not stand to be treated poorly, i feel that i should be treated like a valued customer wether buying $1 or $1million in parts from them. Oreilleys has done so, and advance lost a not so much large but regular customer because of one rather irritating employee who didnt seem to care.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well I hate to say this, but you do realize that O' Reillys supplys advanced auto? So In a way you are still supporting them, but don't worry I am boycotting autozone because they sell cheap junky jap stuff and the failure rate is very high on there stuff. It sucks that you can't find good service any more.......

3. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

Its kind of the opposite between Advance Auto Parts and O'reilly's in my area. Most of the time the people at O'reilly's are in the backroom just talking to each other or on the phone having a conversation with someone. Half the people just look at me and walk to the backroom. The people at Advance Auto Parts always help you and are very welcoming. I tend to go there alot more than O'reilly's.

4. murdog94

See it was alot more of a customer service issue, but i also just didnt care for their attitude at most stores that i went in to. And TRPLXL2 i realized that Oreilleys supplied advance, but to be honest im not to worried about that because a store has to sell parts to stay open and well they for sure will not get my business anymore.
    As to AutoZone yeah we just had on open in our area and i only go there if i absolutely have to.

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

this is why i use NAPA....

Alex

6. murdog94

Napa here in Northern MN is beyond the worst parts supplier. i have gone in there and been ignored at the counter for 10 min before while they talked about the party they were all at the night before. And they will not price match, nor do they even compare on 90% of the parts they sell price wise and usually it is from the same parts supplyer

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

all of the ones I had ever been to were pretty good. thats weird.

Alex

8. murdog94

And it is all the local napas not just one. Alot of it is because so many of them supply parts to the dealerships, and auto repair shops they dont really care about walk in business. What really sucks is being treated poorly by them, and as i said i dont want special treatment but come on i spend 3-4K a year on auto parts (on track for nearly twice that) fixing other peoples cars.. How about some respect as a customer.

But value and customer are not to be used in the same sentence anymore.

9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Same here. On my route home from work, there's a NAPA and an Autozone. I walk into the Autozone, they know me and that I buy alot of parts, and ask how I've been. I walk into the NAPA, and get ignored or not seen forever, then they don't have what I want or know what I'm talking about. I get ignored or missed so much at NAPA I could probably rob the place blind before they knew I was there. It's just so much easier in general for me to be able to look up the part I need on AutoZone's website, see a pic of it and details, see whether it's in stock at my local stores, and walk in and get the part no questions asked. Plus, I've gotten the $20 rewards from AutoZone several times over because I spend so much with them.

There is an Advance, Pep Boys and an O'Reilly's in town, but both are out of the way for me, especially O'Reilly's, and I find O'Reilly's parts cost a lot more.

10. murdog94

See what started me going to Oreilleys rather than finding a local store, is they were selling Struts for my wifes Taurus for $50 a less per strut. and they were still monroes, they were just the lighter duty ones (not for towing) well my wife only drives it to school and the occasional trip. So instead of $150 per rear strut i paid $100, and 148 for the fronts..
    I just had to buy a Steering Rack for my Buick, and they had the part overnighted and i got 10% off of the in store price. And it was cheaper a bit than Advance before i even bought it... I currently have an installer account with them that saves me as i said above 20-40% depending on the part sometimes more sometimes a bit less.. either way advance has lost me as a customer forever.
    So yeah i think it depends on region but either way people have issues with these parts stores and i wonder how they stay in business. since all of my local parts stores that are ma and pop operations have even worse customer service.