Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

avoid?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jhub, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhub

jhub New Member

is there any year surburban to avoid? i'm getting ready to buy a 1985 surburban ,4x2 ,150,000 miles one two inch rust hole, needs paint,perfect interior for a $1000 from the original owner and was wondering if its a good deal?

2. esponet

esponet Rockstar

sounds like a good deal. but i generally would rather have mechanical problems than have to do bodywork.

as far as years to avoid, i can't think of any bad year for suburbans. just your preference in body style and what you plan on using the truck for

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well, for $1000 it sounds like it could be a pretty good deal. How does it run and drive, etc?

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

As suggested in other areas on the board, you should probably do a carfax on this. Maybe even one of the guys that has an unlimited number of carfax searches would be willing to volunteer.

5. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

sounds great! I paid $1195 for My '89, 88k miles

6. jhub

jhub New Member

using suburban

i will be using the truck to take my boy on hunting & fishing trips to start,from what i have seen truck runs strong does not burn oil it is used right now for trips to football tailgate parties once a week (35) miles round trip i would like to do the car fax report but would have to get truck info first thanks for the answers

7. azblazor

azblazor New Member

My opinion is that the 80-86 Suburbans have the lowest quality and the most emmisions issues of the whole production history. Of course the front clip was changed in 81 and the body panel thickness was reduced I believe. In 87 The TBI system was introduced and the emissions issue were solved to a large degree. The 700R4 also was brought into the line in 81 also and was problematic for several years.

But having said all that I would still recommend the 85 if it runs well and is currently registered, etc. You don't say if its a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. That will make a difference in the emissions requirements, i.e. catalytic converter of not.

8. jhub

jhub New Member

85suburban

thanks for letting me know , this is going to be my first truck and i know nothing about them.i just need abig truck and it is either a suburban or a 4door pick up if i can find one in myt price range

9. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Let us know what you get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.