1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AWD or 4WD : Which one did the Yukon XL come with?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blackburb, Apr 2, 2013.

1. blackburb

blackburb Member

Did the regular Yukon XL come with AWD? I thought only the Denali and Escalade had the AWD. Dealer has one they swear is AWD and it's not a Denali. (a long way from me or I'd just go look)
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

AFAIK, you are right. See if they will give you the VIN, and run it through a VIN decoder.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They came with both awd and 4wd! It just depends on the specific truck. When I was looking for my 2005 I drove all over. I wanted 4wd not awd. Many dealers said that they were 4wd, but when I got to the dealer they turned out to be awd. The easiest way to tell is have them send you a pick of the push button selector on the dash. 4wd will have: Auto 4wd, 4 high, 2wd, 4 low, buttons. I think that the AWD just has a 2 low and traction control button.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] would have the answers :great:
  5. blackburb

blackburb Member

The Denali I drove (awd) had no buttons at all.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is interesting. When I bought my 05 yukon xl I test drove about 50 trucks, some denali and some not. Every AWD denali I drove had at least a traction control button. I went with the 4wd. I have a friend with an awd and he gets at least one mile less per gallon and seems to be constantly replacing front end parts, ie wheel bearings, CV shafts, and front diff issues.
  7. blackburb

blackburb Member

The Denali may have had a traction control button somewhere, but there was nothing to the left of the instrument cluster where the 4wd buttons would be, except an empty storage pocket.

Moot point now as I just had my brother pick me up an '01 2500 496 BB 4x4 out in California. Won't have it here for a month or so, but that's ok, it'll take me that long to get the old one ready to sell. (fortunately, it's also black so I don't have to change my screen name):great:
  8. trottida

trottida New Member

I'm not sure about the 2006 Yukon XL but in 2006 the Suburban LTZ model came with AWD but had no buttons to the left of the steering column. It was only available as a 6.0 litre.
  9. Hairscrambler

Hairscrambler New Member

All the Yukon XL and Suburbans had a choice of all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. The AWD has three buttons on the left of the dash board and the 4 wheel drive had 4 buttons with the top button being round. All the Denali versions of the Yukon XL had AWD and no selector buttons. And yes the AWD drives totally different than the 4 wd. And yes the AWD eats parts and uses more gas. I would never buy the AWD.
  10. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

My 05 Yukon XL 2500 is 4WD. Towing package.

Never understood why anyone would want the AWD.