Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bachelor food for noob cooks

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm a bachelor, and also a complete n00b in the kitchen when it comes doing anything except nuke water or wash dishes. But, I'm ready to change and try cooking for myself. I'm also a Southerner who loves hot and spicy food. As such, I'm looking for recipes that are cheap, fast, easy to make, make no more than 3 portions, and that taste great. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Wow, I went and got a fresh mug of coffee for this one! :) First thing, I hope you have a couple of no-stick fry pans and a couple of different size pots! The more you start cooking, the more you'll need, same theory as tools!
    Start with breakfast, get some tortillas, the large ones if your big eater, and a dozen eggs! shredded cheese, and then some ham slices, the thick ones! Theres break fast for a week right there! Dice the ham, crack three eggs into the fry pan and scramble them up over a med. heat, put in the ham, a fist full of cheese, bacon bits, crushed peppers(the type you put on your pizza) and when its all cooked, slap it on the tortilla and roll it up! Sprinkle with hot sauce before you roll it or as you eat it!

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, I have regular old ,antenna TV, and they have more cooking shows on in the mornings than you can shake a stick at! The more you cook, the more you'll want to, too! Its very rewarding and a great way to be creative!

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I got a whole set of pots and pans and other cooking utensils nearly 5 years ago as a house-warming present and to date have only used a couple small pots for boiling water. Yeah, I'm pathetic... I do love watching cooking shows like Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nighmares, and the like, but those are of course more about the drama than the cooking. I do learn a lot from cooking tv though.

In terms of meals, that does sound like a yummy breakfast, but doesn't currently fit into my schedule. I don't eat breakfast because I wake up and am out the door in less than 10 minutes. Lunch is at some restaurant because I don't live close enough to home to go home for lunch, so that leaves dinner to cook.

I love steak, and the way my friends prepares it seems to be really easy and quick. He cuts the excess fat off, pricks the meat with a knife, and then marinates it for 10 minutes in Lea&Perrins and Tony's Chacheries. Then it goes on the grill, but I suspect it would be just as good in a pan on the stove. I should try that at some point.

Keep 'em coming!

4. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Make no more than three portions, you are limiting yourself too much. I have learned that the crockpot is your friend ! I have a decent size one & make lots of 'stuff' in it. I learned a lesson from my late wife. When the kids 'left the nest', she continued to make a lot of our favorites in the same size batches as before. We had a good meal and the leftovers went into the freezer. Lots of things are even better (my opinion) warmed up later. One of my favorites is beef stew, I don't have time right now to type it up but I can do that later if you are interested. Ken

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with the crock pot thing. You throw everything in, turn it on low, and when you get home it is ready. Really easy. When we bought our house 10 years ago I really had no cooking skills and struggled to do things. I was always nervous about making and serving any type of meat or poultry to anyone because I never knew if I had over or under cooked it. I bought a BBQ book called "BBQ USA" by Steven Raichlen. I started with a few recipes in there and spend the summer on the grill. At night I would flip thru the book looking for what I was going to make the next day and learning about cooking temps and a bunch of other things. When summer ended I was able to move what I had learned into the house and now I make 95% of the meals for my family. From making the different things I started to learn what spices work together and with what. Now, in the summer my smoker is running at least 2 full days a week making ribs, pulled pork, beer can chicken or brisket. When ever my parents have a large gathering I end up cooking at it. The only thing that I really have to have is a instant read thermometer. I don't want to over cook things and dry them out (like chicken and pork) and I don't want someone to get sick because I did not get things to a safe temp. Sure, you can cut your chicken breast or steak in half to make sure it is not bloody. But, who wants to serve someone half steaks and chicken breast? another thing that makes things super easy is a foreman grill. Cooks chicken pretty fast.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

+1 on the breakfast burrito. I also add green and red peppers and a little bit of salsa for a some kick. I primarily do all the cooking, so I too can write a book on this. Look into rotisserie chickens. They are cheap, and you can get a few days worth of great tasting chicken from them.

Chicken tacos
    1 chix breast- from rotisserie
    1 can of black beans-Microwave
    1 bag of Southwest style rice-Microwave
    Large or small torillas-I go with the 10''
    Salsa-any flavor, I go with medium
    Its the quickest meal Ive ever "Prepared" lol.

If you like chicken, I usually buy a bag of Tyson chicken tenderloins because they are thinner and cook more evenly.
    Watch out, cooking can be highly addictive!

7. ArtO

ArtO New Member

I have to agree with Grampy & Pikey. Get a crock pot, they come in a few different sizes, you don't have to get a monster sized one. Plenty of recipes on the net, more than you'll ever use. If you do use a big crock pot definitely freeze the left overs. I do most of my cooking on the weekends & freeze portion sized packages for the entire week.
    As far as cooking shows go, I have learned the most from Alton Brown. He actually explains the science behind the cooking and why things should be done a certain way.
    The other "tool" I would suggest is a smoker. If you have a place to use it. Check out www.thesmokering.com for a lot of good tips, secrets & recipes.

8. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 on waht ArtO said. Somehthing else that used to work for me was to make up a double batch of Sloppy Joe mix (use the canned mix). Then I would have left overs that I could "customize" i.e. add chili beans, mild peppers, both, or what ever else trips my trigger. Can be pretty good and filling served over a baked potato.