Back Again... But Need Your Advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AL3X, Nov 2, 2013.

1. AL3X

AL3X Rockstar

So after about 3 years I am back on these forums lol I had an 03 Silverado with many tasteful mods, then I sold it. Which I regret every moment of it. Now after 3 years, the truck bug bit me after always riding in my 2 seater.....
    So I've been looking for a truck to have on the side and I must say, there has been lots of abused and overpriced trucks in my area. I finally came across a decent deal. But I need you guys to chime in. Since my Silverado expertise are a bit rusty now.... should I pull the trigger or walk away?

Its an 2004 silverado z71 4x4 5.3 with 145k, after haggling down the dealer I brought them down from 9500 to 8000.
    Is it too many miles? In your guys' opinion

Engine and transmission oil looked good, then I told em I wanted to check the diff. The oil level was a bit low since I noticed the pumpkin was a bit moist around the gasket. Good or bad? Was not empty but was low. Any problems maybe? She drove good.....
    4x4 seems to work good but when engaging and disengaging it I got a clunky sound, how much of clunk or yank should I experience? I'm not too familiar with 4x4s. Or is some clunk normal....

Other than that should I pull the trigger or walk away?? Only thing it has aftermarket, are flowmasters; everything else is stock and drives nicely.

Thank you hope to hear from you gguys soon!

2. poncho62

poncho62 Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The clunk is pretty normal, even the manual mentions it....would have to hear it to decide.

Probably needs a pinion seal, being a bit low shouldnt have hurt it

3. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

I have 250k on my 99 and runs great, has only had mobil1 SYN oil used in it.... Trick is, keep the oil changed regularly....

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

what I have seen with prices on trucks is in farm ranch areas trucks are overpriced in the used vehicle market. you want a truck with a lower price look in the big cities of your state to find a better deal.

clunking going in / out of 4wd would be the transfercase. the fluid needs replacing when it turns grayish color..color should be blue. with clean blue fluid the clunk is very slight most times no clunk....

as mentioned the drive train fluid replacing is a big factor in the life of these vehicles.

5. AL3X

AL3X Rockstar

Ok but for what the truck is, is it a fair price or should I walk away?
    I've seen about 10 to 12 different trucks in this model and so far this one seems the mmost decent one from them all

6. j cat

get a vehicle history report. post back what you found . 8,000 is a bit high for a 10 year old 140,000mi 1500 truck.

things to look at brakes/rotors/tires/wear of the seats, brake pedal. issues like dash indicators 110% with this model. coolant condition[color] any leaks of all fluids, tranny fluid color smell ....

7. AL3X

AL3X Rockstar

Well the truck itself is valued a little shy from 11k.
    I checked all that like I said on my above post. Only concern was the diff being low on oil but at least it wasn't bone dry and eventually I have to replace the diff pumpkin gasket.

Now on the history report it mentions it had a minor left impact on bumper so it was replaced. but the fenders, hood and panels are all oem from manufacture. And its had 3 owners, but the second owner literally only had it for 2kmiles it was mainly the 1st and 3rd owner who added the miles.
    clean title, clean interior. like I said in my first post there was just a few concerns I had.
    which is why I say does it sound like a good deal or what?

8. j cat

with that history it should be OK. $8,000 for sale see if you can get a warranty with that . what about the recall work ... anything about that ? use vin # see what the GM dealership can dig up.

how much oil was added to the rear diff ?

if you do buy this remove the rear diff cover clean and replace oil .

also replace all drivetrain fluids and the fuel filter if this model has one.