Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Back brake issues

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

I did the back brakes last week and eveyone told me the parking brakes never wear out. Well there were wore out and so was the back plate. I didn't have the part so I did new rotors callipers and the best long wear pads. The young man helping me messed up one of the bolts, the one that holds the main bracket. this bolt got messed up on the way out and got stuck so I had to grind the 3/4 ratchet to get it out. Going back in was allmost impossable, when I take this all apart again to do the backing plate and parking shoes Should I retap this hole? What do you guys think?
    Thanks Eric

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yes, by all means re-tap that hole and get a new bolt. I replaced backing plate and shoes on my 2000 Yukon and used the one piece replacement plates which required the axles to be pulled. Another individual on this site used a two peice with good results.

3. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

does that two peice unit go on easy?

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes! Tap the hole out and get a new bolt. I have not done the 2 piece unit, but I have been told that they are easy to install.