1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back up camera advice for '05 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by ajaxajax2000, Apr 12, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ajaxajax2000

ajaxajax2000 New Member 100 Posts

Hi,

I'm in the market for a back up camera for my '05 Tahoe. Looking for some advice on what to buy and how to install the camera at the rear.

What I'm looking for is somthing that:

1. Is mounted some way up from ground level to get a birds eye view. Well, not really, but I'd like to see my towing hook in relation to cars behind me when parking. So down on the towing girder is too low.

2. Descrete

3. As few new holes as possible. Preferably no new holes required

4. Preferably wireless com with monitor

And here somewhere is where it should be:

007_P1070094_zpsce9feecf.jpg

Thank's for your tip's!
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My Avalanche came with a camera. It is mounted on the tailgate handle trim plate; so, it might be 4' off the ground (I could check it if you like). It is a perfect height to see the ball and park under a hitch.
  3. ajaxajax2000

Thx Ray. Know the camera brand? A pic would be great if not too much trouble...
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Gosh, whatever GM uses, probably made for the radio (nav unit with display). But ya know, it is probably a universal thing, the cameras probably use a standard video interface (the OEM cameras are hardwired I believe).

no trouble, but not very big and the same colour and material as the latch trim plate, let me see what I can find.

Mine is smaller that this
    [​IMG]

Here is a link: http://www.gmbackupcams.com/

Note, just adding as I find something.

This is closer to mine: https://www.camera-source.com/produ...valanche-cadillac-ext-backup-camera-2002-2013
  5. ajaxajax2000

Thx again. That's a great site. Didn't find any for Tahoe's older than '07 though. But this universal type might do the trick. Won't be as high as your's but probably good enough. Anyway, much better than today... :)

camera-sourcecom-license-plateweb_zps48f8dc73.jpg

Thx for good advice.