Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Back-up camera install help

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by duckduckdog, Mar 11, 2013.

1. duckduckdog

duckduckdog Rockstar 100 Posts

I replaced my factory head unit this weekend with a Sony AV 64BT and I have a back-up camera that I am planning to install. I went ahead and plugged the video feed into the back of the unit and have it coild up beside my glove box. My question is about power to the backup camera. Can I tap into the 7-pin connector? If not, where is the best place to tap into? Photos or wire colors would be greatly appreciated! :happy:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

For my 2005 the red wire in the 7 pin harness is the power and the light green wire was the reverse lights. Just a note, when I spliced into the red wire for power there was none. I found that GM did not install the fuse for the power wire in the 7 pin harness at the factory.(I guess that this is common for 1999 and new models) In the underhood fuse block there was a red block inserted into the spot where the fuse was supposed to be. I just went to the parts store and purchased a fuse, replaced the block with a fuse and everything worked. Hope I helped.

3. duckduckdog

duckduckdog Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes you did - thanks for the reply. So, you spliced into the red wire, and that delivers constant power to your back-up camera when the truck is on? If you splice into the light green wire, would that give me power when in reverse?

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did not install a backup camera, I installed white night back up lights. The red wire gave me constant power and the light green gave me power when in reverse to signal the relay to turn the lights on. I would invest in a cheap test light just to be sure that the colors are the same on the 2007. Chances are that they are the same, but I would still verify it. Again, I did not have power to the red wire until I put the fuse in.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tapped the positive wire to the driver's side reverse bulb for my aftermarket reverse camera, as it's easy to locate and very, very easy to test. I also tapped the reverse circuit at the column to tell the head unit to switch into reverse camera view.

6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

just installed one this weekend. the AV cable that came with it had a power wire run with it so I connected it behind the steering column along with the reverse line from the head unit so it powered the camera and signalled the head unit when I shifted into reverse. The other way is to find the power wire for the backup light bulb and splice it there for power.