1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back up camera question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Gchase24, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Gchase24

Gchase24 New Member

New to forum, posted this in the new members section so maybe This is the right forum, I have a few questions. Is it possible to add a second back up camera to my Chevy 2011 3500 HD? I would like to install a second camera for hitching my goose neck trailer and still retain my exsiting camera for parking and backing in tight places. . Would it be possible to switch from one camera to the other when needed and still use the same monitor on my rear view mirror? Are any after market cameras compatible with GM?

2. JDP

JDP New Member

Did you ever get an answer on your back up camera Question.

I have a 2011 3500 crew cab and want to know the same thing. Is there a way to use another camera for Goose neck hook up and still use the standard rear view mirror camera.
  3. Phooey

Phooey New Member

Yes, it is possible.....kinda. I work on a customers Suburban who owns an electronic repair company. It's the company that all the local dealers use to repair factory radios......all brands. I imagine every city has one somewhere. Anyway, it's not a second camera, but you can see the hitch. I don't know if it can be moved down to hitch, and than moved back to the regular angle, or how it works, but he installed it so he could hook-up by himself without gettng out 6 times, or damaging his bumper.

If you get tricky, you can mod you lens to move up and down for free, just move it down by hand when you want to hook.

Here is the link to the repair shop, ask them how or what they use....

http://www.unitedradio.com/

Good luck

Ohh yeah, i forgot, it uses the factory screen.
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think that it is possible as well. I was shopping around for a second camera for my after-market unit and I saw a few options that claimed to work with a current OEM set up. Take a look on Amazon, as I think that's where I saw them.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Get a 12 volt video switcher. Some even have TV Tuners built in. But plug in the 2 cam's and a switch somewhere on your dash so you can go between a and b.
  6. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Yea, I would jst find a compatible or replacement oem backup camera, mount to your liking buy a video switch (MAY EVEN be able to get a regular electrical switch to work?) and simply switch between the two depending on your choice.