Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

back up light

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Conlan Rose, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

i just ordered a 55 watt round light for my tahoe for use as a back up light. im just wondering is best way to wire it by splicing the trailer wiring back up light or is there another way.
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

You can tap into the backup circuit, or run a seperate wire and switch.

The easiest way is probably pulling out the taillight and figuring which wire goes to the backup light - I think it's the white one -then 'T' into it and run down to the new light. Whenever you put it in reverse, the new light comes on.

Running a whole new wire and switch will be more work and material, but you can use the light whenever you want. (though, most state vehicle laws don't allow for this)

Mount the light to an existing frame or bumper hole, and you're in business!

Good luck,
  3. Conlan Rose

The wiring diagram for the tail lights say back up light wire is light green and I prob gonna attach It through trailer harness cuz it dedicated line to back up switch
  4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would tap into the tail light backup wire as mentioned above, but the trailer harness will work too.
  5. Conlan Rose

ok thanks ill post pics after i get the light mount it and wire it. of course the terminal connectors i ordered and heat shrink tubes arnt coming until a couple days after the lights come in.
  6. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Do you happen to know where this is illegal or know a website to check this out? I have 2 5in spot lights mounted under my rear bumper with a switch in the cab. I had never heard of this being illegal. I am currently stationed in Louisiana and about to move to Texas. I would just like to make sure I am not going to get hit for it. Thanks bud.
  7. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Most state governments' websites use the common abbrevation, plus ".gov". I tried ' la.gov ' and it was the first result.

In MI, it's called the Michigan Vehicle Code; it'll probably be pretty close to that in your state. Find the search function and look for white light, rear lighting, reverse lights, auxiliary lighting, etc., and you'll find all sorts of stuff you didn't know. For example, in Michigan, any auxiliary light mounted above the center line of the manufacturers headlight must be covered whilst on any public roadway, blue lights anywhere are illegal, except for sworn law enforcement officers, hay wagons more than 6' wide must have at least one rearward facing red light, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc....

Being called away,
    Good luck,

I'm back. I'm sure the reasoning behind having aux. backup lights tied into the reverse circuit is so you don't get tempted to flash the bonehead behind you with the hi-beams on. I'm sure, too, that there is a way to wire the lights in so you can have both functions; on when in reverse, plus the switch to use them as work lights. Someone here may know that diagram.

Depending on the cops in your area, you probably won't have a problem with having the lights mounted out back - just be aware of this, and don't draw attention to yourself, ya know?
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What you need to do to do it "right" is to connect a RELAY to the reverse light in the tail light harness. Then run a heavier gauge wire from a higher amp rated fuse to actually power the light with... Otherwise, you can melt your taillight harness. It was not meant to provide the power needed for a 55 watt bulb.

Otherwise, you might get undesired results...

[​IMG]

"I bought a new car once... and I got burned."
  9. Conlan Rose

funny think is conneticut has laws about aux lights but they never say what the laws are anywhere on the site it was a pain to find i learned there's no rules on back up lights. and i was going to wire it to the trailer harness lead because when i had the shop install the 7 wire harness they didnt realize there was a prewired back up light lead and they didnt use it. so theres nothing hooked up to it im just wondering if the 55 watt light will be to much for the harness lead
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have the Whitenight backup lights. Easy plug into a 4 pin harness. It comes with a 3 way switch that allows you to turn it on from behind it or on when backing up. It has a relay inside too... backup lights.jpg