Back up lights don't work

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Magadith, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Magadith

Magadith New Member

My back up lights in my 97 Suburban stopped working. I haven't checked the bulbs because I don't understand why if 1 bulb fails both don't work. Any suggestions if it s just a bulb or something else? I had a similar problem in a older car and the solution was a switch in the tranny, but that was a Pontiac with a manual transmission. different then a later model suburban with a automatic tranny.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

They could have burned out at different times. One bulb still gives you enough light that you might not have noticed. I'd check the fuse first, check for power on both sides of it. If ok, then either check the BU light switch of the bulbs next, whichever you think is easier.

3. Alan Crosby

Alan Crosby Member

I'm having the same problem on my '07. I took it in for a safety inspection and they failed it for the back up lights. The bulbs looks fine to me and so does the fuse. When I put the transmission into reverse the rear view mirror tilts down and the camera comes on. So at least some parts of the vehicle detect that the transmission is in reverse.

4. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? They should be able to assist your further. Feel free to keep me posted. I can also look into this for you with your VIN. You can also contact me via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

5. Alan Crosby

Alan Crosby Member

UPDATE: I took the Burb into my mechanic to have him take a look at it and lo and behold the lights were working! I guess it was some weird state the computer was in at the time. It was hot the day it failed and it is cooler and raining today. Could it be a weird short?

I got it reinspected and it passed, so problem solved for the next twelve months at least.