backspacing for 20X9 w/2.25 level on '08

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bpaulk, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bpaulk

bpaulk New Member

Ok, I have searched the forums and I have found that I can run a 305/50/20 on a 20x9 with a 2.25" level kit, however I cant find a definitive answer for the backspacing and offset (which is confusing after looking at so many posts).

I have a 08 Silverado Crew Cab, 2WD.

Is anyone running this setup that can help me out? I have used the tire calcs. and I know the 305/50/20 is a 32x12.

On a similiar note....does anyone think a 275/55 would look better under my setup or should I stay with the 305/50? According to the tire calcs., the 275/55 is only.05" smaller sidewall height, but is 1.2" narrower.

2. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

i'm running 285/65/18 on -12mm offset rims and a 3" suspension lift. only minor rubs on the plastic fender which went away after i trimmed it with scissors. a 305 size tire will definitely rub up front, especially with just a 2.25" leveling kit. many ppl have fit 33" tires (285) with leveling kits but rubs always a problem especially when you offset them. i wouldn't go higher than 285 unless you put a real lift on it.

3. bpaulk

bpaulk New Member

Interesting. According to the tire calculators, the 305/50/20 is a 32x12. Which in most of the posts I have read, people run 33 with minor trimming and a leveling kit. I assumed I would be good, I just wanted to make sure I have the proper backspacing.

4. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

yeah, thats weird how the tire code works(the 305 is the width and the 50 is the aspect ratio). mine is a 33" tire, and yours would be a 32" tire. i'd be careful still as the width of the tire also comes into play not just the size, if it is really wide it can still rub. good luck though i hope it turns out looking great!

5. bpaulk

bpaulk New Member

Thanks for the help!

6. bpaulk

bpaulk New Member

It looks like after some more research and talking with a couple of guys on here that I should go with a 5.5" backspacing with a 18mm offset.

Anyone disagree?

7. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i got a 3" liift from rc and im running 20x9 iwth a 0mm offset wrapped in 305/50/r20 toyo at and they dont rub at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Burden33

305/55 is a 33" and 305/50 is a 32" so basically they are the sam

9. bpaulk

bpaulk New Member

So if I have done my homework correctly, going from a +18 offset to a 0 offset, the wheel will stick out a little over a half inch more, which I would rather have. I didnt want the tucked in look.

Thanks for the help Burden33! You pretty much gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  10. Burden33

no problem only here to help