1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Backup Camera, And a GPS.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 1953bowtieguy, Dec 12, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

I am asking you guys on GMTC, if you know what the best brand of backup camera and the best brand of GPS are, because i would like to get both for my 94 Yukon. Would appreciate your input, thanks.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Double DIN GPS head unit or external GPS device? If not a double-DIN head unit with a video input, what do you intend to use for a display for the backup camera? I ask because you didn't mention a display for the backup camera -- i.e. you only asked about the camera, itself.
  3. 1953bowtieguy

ya idk what im going to use for a display for it but i have a prime suspect where i want it to go tho.
    cubby.jpg I want it to go in the lil cubby where the old radio went, right above the heat/ac controls if yu can see it.
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Pioneer makes several nice double-DIN GPS/CD player/Radio/display products that will fit in that slot. I may get one at some point as an upgrade for my 1997, although at this point I'm happy using the GPS in my phone.

Pioneer and Sony both make excellent backup cameras although they are expensive.
  5. 1953bowtieguy

So would i be able to use the GPS for a display for the backup camera.
  6. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Yes, almost all the dash-mount ones will do that.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

8. SurrealOne

Here's the camera I'm currently running:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PN1A54

Other than the craptastic glass fuse and fuse holder it comes with, I'm pleased with it. (I recommend replacing the fuse folder with a waterproof mini-fuse holder.) It's crystal clear during the day and expectedly grainy at night. Distance lines are superimposed over the camera image, so you have to orient the camera's 'eyeball' properly when finalizing the install.

I have the camera mounted on the left side of the tailgate handle's plastic bezel -- basically in the same spot the NNBS trucks have their cameras -- with the eyeball aimed down and back such that I can see well behind me but can also see my receiver ... which is stupidly useful when hitching up a trailer.

For the money this has been a stellar camera.
  9. 1953bowtieguy

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] So what do u use as a display for it than???
  10. SurrealOne

My double DIN Kenwood DNX-6960 (with buit-in Garmin GPS)...