Backup Camera Connection

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ShoottooThrill, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ShoottooThrill

ShoottooThrill New Member

Hi All!

I have a new 2010 Silverado with trailer package. I am trying to connect a backup camera and I would like to power the camera with an in line switch from the front cab of the vehicle. So my question…is there a wire from the trailer harness (at tailgate) that runs into the front cab of the truck, or do I have to run my own.

I found and connected the two STUD wires under the hood with 30 and 40 amp fuses – DONE

There are about five spare wires under the dash bundled together, one marked CMHSL (Center Mount High Stop Lamp). Do any of these wires go back to the tailgate?

And…there is the orange wire (Center) for auxiliary on the 7 pin connector at tailgate. Can I use this?

Thanks...

2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

It's easier to run your own... All the lines in the 7-way plug are most likely being utilized already... The only one that might not be being used would be the one for the brake controller, and you need to use that for the brake controller... LoL

3. mus99gt

mus99gt Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree that you should run your own dedicated wire.

4. ShoottooThrill

ShoottooThrill New Member

Thanks guys. I tied the camera for the time being to the reverse light. I'll run a new wire later.