1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Myke, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Myke

Myke New Member

From the specs I see posted on the new 2009 Chevy Silverado it now has an option that offers a backup camera (tailgate mounted with display via the inside rearview mirror).

I sure need to have this camera system in my 2008 Chevy Silverado 3500HD. Would anyone know if this very same system in the 2009 Silverado could be installed in my 2008 Silverado..?.. I have not seen any after-market backup camera systems that I like...
  2. chevygurl

chevygurl Rockstar

Shouldn't be a problem, but I'd check with the dealership. You'll have to buy it from them anyway, since it's so new.
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Any luck with that camera placement?
  4. Graytop

Graytop New Member

I saw a new backup camera system at a GM dealer shop that they had in operation. It must have been aftermarket, but the display was sharp. The camera was built into a license plate frame. I am sure thinking about getting it. No doubt its cheaper than factory. Depends on what you want to spend.
  5. scottvan

scottvan New Member

Anyone have any luck with aftermarket backup cameras? I'm looking at a setup from MobileVideo4Less that will cost about $400 total, but I think it's worth it. Can't decide on either the license plate frame or under the bumper version.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a Pioneer Stereo, that has Rear View Camera capability, So I went with a Boyo VTK-350 Rear View Camera, and here are the Features of it, and picture of were I mounted it,

• [*=center]Features:
    High Quality Color CMOS camera
    100% waterproof (IP67)​
    Excellent low light sensitivity 0.5 lux​
    Quick and Easy installation​
    Surface Metal Mounting bracket included

120\u00ba wide viewing angle​
    Video Output RCA Composite Cable
    Weatherproof Yes

BOYO VTK350 WATERPROOF REAR-VIEW CAMERA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That is an awesome setup Mike, you can hardly see it down on top of the hitch. I had found one that gets mounted under the lip of the plastic piece of the top of the tailgate at Stylin Concepts, and it will only work with the Z-71 model because of that big ugly plastic thing on top. It is naturally angled down to the pavement, but you have to drill a 1" hole in that plastic piece though. It comes with a 4" screen and it sells for $300, I just can't wrap my head around the routing of the wires up to the cab. Oh well maybe some day I wil get energetic and try it out. :happy:
  8. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 Rockstar 100 Posts

Does the Camera make parellel Parking easier?:rofl: