Bad clutch master and/or slave cylinder?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crispyt, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

About 225k miles for me

2. DareDiver

DareDiver New Member GMTC Chick

I have a 97 Chevy 1500. 4.3 v6 5 speed. I'm curious if anyone can answer where the slave cylinder is located? Any help would be great thanks.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Usually on the inside of the bell housing, you need to remove the transmission.

4. DareDiver

Yeah I just crawled under it to see that. Makes this a lot more expensive.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

A lot more complicated anyway.

6. DareDiver

Yup. First place to give me a price over the phone said $950. If it was the other way it would be like $200.

7. Julia Byrd

Julia Byrd New Member GMTC Chick

On my 98 will I have to drop the transmission to replace the slave cylinder ??

8. Kokocrisp

Kokocrisp New Member

I am having the same problem on my 1995 GMC Sierra C 1500 2wd 5 speed manual transmission, I had the transmission rebuilt, bout a new clutch and slave cylinder. I've bled the clutch but am still having problems shifting into gear. When the truck is off it shifts perfectly into gear but when I turn it on it gets really hard to put it into gear. I don't see what the problem could be? Can somebody help me?

9. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds to me that for some reason you aren't completely disengaging the clutch and pressure plate. Could it be that the slave is the wrong one? is the clutch fork bent, worn or anything?

10. Kokocrisp

Kokocrisp New Member

That's a possibility but I replaced the clutch fork when I bought the new clutch, I also bought a new slave cylinder but on the end of the slave cylinder the rod wasn't long enough to engage the clutch when I stepped on it so I took out the rod from the old slave cylinder and put it in the new one but it's still doing the same thing.