Bad clutch?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sollucho, Sep 9, 2010.

1. sollucho

sollucho New Member

I just picked up a 95 Silverado with standard tranny. It runs great, but sometime it will not go into 1st that well. I found if I put the clutch in all the way to the floor it goes in. Could this be a sign I may need to replace the clutch? Also it seems to engage when the clutch pedal is almost all the way out. Any one have experience with this and know how much a replacement might cost? Thanks for all the input!

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds like the clutch is getting weak. Also the 1st gear syncro could be worn. If it doesnt slip, i would run it till it quits.
    I paid $500 or so for a new one to be installed in my 1988. So i would imagine around that price is what you would pay if someone where to do it for you.

3. sollucho

sollucho New Member

I was thinking it may be getting weak, it does not slip or anything like that so I will run it till it does. $500 is not as bad as I was expecting! Thanks for the input!

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club.

5. sollucho

sollucho New Member

Thanks! It looks like some great info on the site with some good people! Glad to have a bow tie also!

6. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

Also check your master cylinder to make sure its full of oil if its low you could be getting air in the line to the slave which wouldn't allow the slave to fully release the clutch. It is located by your brake booster should be black and mounted to the fire wall.

7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Also, see if you can adjust the pedal linkage. It might just have worked loose.

8. sollucho

sollucho New Member

I will check the master cylinder and try to adjust it this weekend. Thanks for the input!