Bad Gauges - Fixed!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by mhevezi, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mhevezi

mhevezi Rockstar

Sometimes I amaze even myself!

So my '04 Silverado had the wacky gauges that would only work about 10% of the time. Only the tach and water temp gauges worked reliably and the speedo- not at all. So I called the dealer for the recal and because of my mileage, no dice. A re-built cluster is like $230+ and having it fixed by someone who swaps out all the bad stepper motors is $150, plus shipping and a few days with no gauge cluster.

Being somewhat frugal (ie- I'm a cheap a$$), and having some skills, I decided to tackle the gauges myself. I found a set of all 7 stepper motors (the extra for the clusters with the optional tranny temp gauge) for $46 shipped to my door. Took about 4 days to arrive, and I went to work.

Getting the instrument panel out is a piece of cake. It snaps apart fairly easy, and if you have ever soldered components to a PCB, then you will have no trouble with this. Aside from a few blunders on my part, it went smooth and I am proud to say that all my gauges are ALL working 100% for a fraction of what I would have had to pay!

If anyone has messed up gauges, and you can handle a soldering iron, you can get the new motors on e-bay for cheap and in less than two hours, have your gauges back!

1 person likes this.
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for the wonderful information. Please tell us what vehicle and year you have and fixed. I believe this fix is only available for around '02 and up or so.

Thanks again,

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Good info', thanks for sharing!

4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good info to know. Thanks.

5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Great advice!

6. mhevezi

mhevezi Rockstar

It's for the '03 to '06 Silverado's and the '07 Silverado Classic. Those gauges had a recall, but you need to be less than 70k miles to qualify for the recall. I'm not sure if the '02's and older had the same issue.

It's a pretty easy fix if you have basic mechanical skills, can solder and just take your time.

7. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Way to go on the frugal fix.

I hope I never have to follow your example.:lol:

8. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Same issues, no recall on them. We had another thread on here of someone that had sent away to get the stepper motors swapped but when I contacted the person that was doing the work I was told it was not possible for my ('99) year. I think pre-'02 is the cut-off.

Again, great info!

9. stprovost

stprovost New Member

Hello, where did you order the stepper motors? I also have a 2003 chevy suburb with the spastic gauges!
    thanks
    stprovost@provtechs.com

10. mhevezi

mhevezi Rockstar