1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

bad lower shock mounts with leveling kit

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 03 SIERRA, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 03 SIERRA

03 SIERRA Rockstar

Do the lower shock mounts ever go bad? I'm having a slight klunking noise on some bumps. I just replace everything except the upper and lower control arm bushings. How do I test them and how would I replace them seeing they are pressed into the lower control arm?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen the shock bushings go bad often. I always have someone bounce on the bumper while I lay under the truck looking at the bushing. It could be the intermediate shaft.
  3. 03 SIERRA

03 SIERRA Rockstar

Will there be up and down play? I can take the shock and twist it from side to side but the bushing moves along. Steering shaft is greased and the popping noise/feeling is gone. With this noise I don't feel it in the steering.

- - - Updated - - -

It almost sounds like a ball joint or sway bar link. But that's all new.
  4. Pikey

There should be no play at all. You should not be able to twist it back and forth. With The bushings that I have seen go bad, the metal sleeve usually that the bolt goes thru opens up at the seem or the entire thing oblongs. Some parts stores may have the lower bushings. Many times when you bounce the front bumper you will see the entire shock move up and down on the bushing
  5. 03 SIERRA

03 SIERRA Rockstar

Since the rubber is soft enough to twist, the metal slave is probably oblonged and that's probably the knunk I hear. Any tips on replacing them?
  6. Pikey

I am sure that others will have suggestions. I usually pull out the metal tube. or press it out with a c-clamp and a couple sockets. Then I pull or press out the rubber. When installing the new one, just grease the rubber and slide it in, then grease the sleeve and push it in.
  7. 03 SIERRA

03 SIERRA Rockstar

i finally got back on here, it was my lower shock mounts. I did them on my lift at work. i was able to air chisel out the bad on as it was clunking and breaking itself free. the other one i had to use a ball joint press. to get them back in i left them in the freezer for a day greased them and hit them right in with with a dead blow.