1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bad Shocks?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MWright936, Apr 19, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just recently had my intermediate steering shaft replaced to fix the common steering "clunk". It fixed that clunking I was feeling and hearing in the steering, but I'm noticing something else now. It sounds like more of a rattling than a clunking, and kind of sounds like it may be in the front suspension. On top of that, when I drive over a sharp bump going highway speeds, the truck has a slight shake to it. It's nothing dangerous, but enough to shake you up and down a bit. The truck has 60K miles on it, and I'm pretty sure it's still on stock shocks (I haven't crawled underneath to check anything out yet :) ). Should I go for new shocks? I'm still under my initial bumper to bumper warranty (not for much longer) so I can probably get the dealership to swap em out for free. I just thought I would post on here to see what yall think. Thanks!!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Climb under the truck and check out a few items:
    Shocks, shock mounts, and bushings.
    and
    Swaybar, mounts, and bushings.

The dealer more than likely wont replace the shocks because theyre a wear item same for the swaybar mounts if theyre the problem.
    If they are the problem you should be able to find a decent replacement set for under $150 and replace them in under two hours.

3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's probably true. Didn't think about the shocks being a wear item. I'll have to crawl under there and check things out. Thanks for the tips!