1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bait Cars. What does everyone think about these?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What does everyone think about police using the concept of a bait car? Is it a way to flush out, document and prosecute those elements of society that are probably already committing crimes, or is it entrapment and enticing people in a way like if they see a wallet on the ground and they let their selfish nature get the better of them?

I'm maybe 3/4 of the way thinking that this is a good idea, but I've heard good arguments both ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWoojSYoZ-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDANFDgfezI

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm all for it. Screw criminals, no matter how petty their offenses may be. Pretty simple concept: if you don't want to go prison, don't commit crimes. How difficult is that? Just because a car is sitting there with the keys in it, doesn't mean it's yours for the taking. If you're dumb enough to drive off in a car that's not yours and then get busted by the police, that's your own damn fault.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My dad used to tell me something, that he heard from his dad, and I tell my kids the same thing. "There's one thing that you know about that object that you found ... you know it's doesn't belong to you." I still remember that from being a kid and finding a "HE-MAN Masters of the Universe Sword" at a construction site and my dad made me take it back and leave it there.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I think it's a good idea. I personally would never hop into a strange vehicle in which the keys were left in it and drive away. That is stealing. It's not like legislators are "making up" new laws (which I'm against), they are simply enforcing the laws currently on the books.

With this being said, the crooks are going to wise up to this and not take cars with the key left in the ignition.

There is no law against finding a $20 laying on the ground, there is a law against stealing.

5. McClintoc

Crooks are too stupid to wise up. Bait cars have been around for decades and they are still getting stolen.

6. ChevyFan

Part of this is the odds, what are the chances that if you''re a young & uneducated kid from the projects who may or may not know who your father is ... what are the odds that you're going to get a bait car vs. getting making off with someone's vehicle?

I'm usually very optimistic, but I'm slowly starting to turn into a pessimist seeing the way that society is going.

7. stchman

True, but you figure that a Cadillac Escalade left in the hood, with the keys in the ignition, something HAS to be wrong!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care how uneducated you are, stealing is against the law even if you don't know who your father is.

8. McClintoc

Yes, all of us intelligent, law-abiding people would think something was wrong. Yes, even long-time/experienced crooks would think something was wrong. But, there will always be the first-time, inexperienced, and/or truely stupid crooks that still fall for it. As you can see in the video, the 2 fools that got in the Escalade didn't think anything odd of it; hell, they thought they had just wont the lotto.

9. ChevyFan

True, but many of these kids don't have a clue why they should even try to uphold the law, they're born and bred into a system where they're the victim, it's the other guy's fault, they need to get back at them because the deck is stacked against them, they don't know right from wrong and they don't care.

10. stchman

If you go into a grocery store is it OK to just take the food off the shelves since it's "just there"?