1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bakflip for Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Tight Lines, May 6, 2009.

1. Tight Lines

Tight Lines New Member

Has anybody installed a Backflip tonneau cover on their Silverado's? If so what do you think, operation, durability, security and looks?

Thanks!
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Never heard of it. Is it the tri-fold?
  3. Tight Lines

Tight Lines New Member

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've seen them and I like their functionality a lot.
  5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

I have one on my truck. I like the functionality of it, and it seems to be holding up so far. The best part is it flips up right against your window up and out of the way. I was thinking of selling it to buy a diamond plate one though.
  6. ukrkoz

ukrkoz New Member

i have fourfold backflip with hydraulics holding it against the window. it is ok. but not the best.
    big pro is that it folds completely and you have your bed available.
    now, cons, after 1.5 year of use.
    1. eventually, plates sag and collect water
    2. mine started leaking water in in about 6 mths
    3. they are, as everything else, done with profit in mind. so, mine is just yey long. meaning - it is just long enough to cover the bed, but without complete cover of the tailgate or the front of the bed. it is either or. quite annoying, as rubber seals on the ends kink, as result
    4. it is nice to have bed covered completely, but what if you need partial cover? wind from driving will blow folded plates back. so, i finally started driving with 3 plates folded. i have added thin chains to the 3rd plate, with hooks, to hold to the metal buckles they have on the 4th plate. so far, it works fine.
    i'll put backflip above any solid tonneau cover easy. functionality!
    i have seen a backflip with raised sides, about 2 inches, that one looked much better than mine.
  7. Tight Lines

Tight Lines New Member

Ukrkoz, thanks for the great review. I am leaning towards the Bakflip as I have some gear I want to store and cover. It looks pretty durable with decent security. Hope others can chime in as well.
  8. ukrkoz

ukrkoz New Member

well, whatever you chose, you always get what you paid for. try to get one with the best cross strength you can afford. like i said, plates sag eventually and you end up with puddles on the cover. also, you can rig plates so that they stay locked at any flip you want to.
    otherwise, like i said - user friendly, no need to remove for full bed hauls, you do not lose your bed.:great: that sagging just sort of got under my skin. :grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:

you welcome.
  9. Tight Lines

Tight Lines New Member

I will keep that in mind. BTW, great use of emotion faces. :happy:
  10. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

I do not have a sag in mine yet. It does let some water in from the get go.