Ball bearing stuck on magnet in transmission pan

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by i_build, Aug 3, 2009.

1. i_build

i_build New Member

Changed out the transmission filter. Stuck to the magnet at the bottom of the pan was a single small ball bearing. I have put about 10k miles on it since I got it without any transmission problems. 130k mile to 140k miles. Not sure if the original owner ever changed the filter. Fluid was red and doesnt smell burnt but the ball bearing leaves me a bit concerned.

Shifting fine though.

Any thoughts?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

This happens if someone rebuilt the transmission previously and dropped a valve body ball and it disappeared. It then shows up on the magnet after the transmission is turned over and installed. No big deal if the trans is working OK. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only place you will fine these 1/4" check balls is inside the valve body and there's no way they can escape.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't worry too much about it??? I thought that the check balls were some of the most important things in the valve body... I know I accidentally left a needle filter out of my transmission, but one I rebuild the tranny it's going back in...
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

LOL, don't get too excited. I have dropped check balls by accident and never found them. They always end up in the bottom of the pan. If the transmission was actually "missing" a check ball it would not work right and would probably burn up.