ball joint boots

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by newcheylover, Apr 3, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

I wanted to pump some grease into the ball joint and tie rods with my grease gun but found what looked to me like years of old grease and dirt mixed in next to the boots and all around the zirk fittings. I spent well over an hour chipping the old stuff off and making sure none if the ball joints had failed and that there was no play. Everything was fine until I went to pump new grease in. I would get one or two pumps in then it would start spewing out of a little hole on the boot. Are these holes there for a reason and if they are damaged, is there a way to get a new boot or am I going to have to get new ball joints?
  2. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

Hole is not supposed to be there, they will have to be replaced to correct the issue. It's not really a safety issue unless the ball joint has play though. Mine are doing the same thing...just waiting until they become a bigger problem before I worry about it.
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

yes... you can by replacement boots... just do a search for ball joint dust boots.
  4. geo1

geo1 New Member 100 Posts

a old trick is to pierce a hole in boot,to enter in grease on an otherwise hard to pump in zerk,sometimes you have to crank steering wheel to diff. location to introduce the lube,not the worst thing,keep after the lube and you will be fine for a good while,do check with a bar of some sort for side play on upper and lower ball joints,if uppers are loose,check pricing on ball joint and ball joint/upper control arm assy. mine were rusty,so i did the latter
  5. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

hi geo1
    if your ball point rusty you have need to replace it, becauseit is very important for good performance of vehicle.it prevents the loss of lubricants and contamination.These Energy Suspension components resist damage from rocks, sand, water, road salt, and oils, and add a colorful touch to your vehicle.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if the ball joints are still good, then the hole is not an immediate issue. Just keep clean grease in there, so check it more often.
  7. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member 100 Posts

The proper way to lube a ball joint, tie rod ends inner and outer is to pump until you see the boot swell a little. Don't pump until you see grease. On my truck being an 03 my boots are all cracked. So in my case i pump until i see clean grease and wipe the stuff that spews out. It is messy. But on newer vehicles remember to pump enough just to see the boot swell a little. Like I said I have an 03 haven't changed any steering part other than the pitman arm. I grease every 5000 miles when I change oil. Oh and when you grease universal joints pump until you see fresh grease. It will push out all the moisture and they should last forever, that is after you replace your oem ones when they go bad, oem's are all unservicable. Never poke a hole in a boot because of a finiky zerk fitting to grease that part, replace it. You can however use a needle to grease an unservicable part, i.e. no zerk fitting. You want that boot to last as long as possible to keep contaminates out. Hope this helps.
  8. 1500-king

1500-king New Member

I have 02 silverado 1500 2wd ext cab. watched youtube video on replacing inner/outer tie rod. jacked up truck removed outer tie rod easy enough. removed boot on inner rod and about 4 oz oil ran out and noticed a tube that goes into boot at an angle. Pulled boot down and discovered the joint where the inner tie rod goes looks nothing like the video. Its the factory part, it was pinkish and I could not locate anything that looked the joint on the new part. It was smooth all the way around. So here are my questions......how do i get the oil back in the boot now that it is clamped back on. what is that little tube that goes in the side of the boot and how do i get the inner tie rod to unscrew from that joint? there is no place to put a wrench to rotate the inner tie rod nut on the original rod. when i grab tire at 3 and 9 and shake you see inner tie rod move where the boot is. thanks 30 year proff firefighter, great with water so so with tools heh heh
  9. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Well if you go to the trouble to get the ball joint out of there you might as well replace the whole thing.

Boots are toast on my K2500 but I grease the ball joints often and am trying to postpone the inevitable front end rebuild as long as I can. Eventually I figure I'll have to tear it apart and do control arm, ball joint, tie rod ends, and probably CV boots all at once
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Putting a hole in the boot to pump grease in would be absolutely useless. You are not adding grease to the joint. When you use the zerk it pushes clean grease thru the actual balljoint. Adding it thru a hole in the boot would just put grease around the joint not in it. it also damages the boot and allows dirt to enter the joint. If a zerk will not take grease replacing it or at a minimum removing it and attempting to clean it to get it to take grease is the best option.