ball joint boots

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by newcheylover, Apr 3, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. geo1

geo1 New Member 100 Posts

It does work,there is wicking action involved. lube will get there.slowly.where did the lube go ? The stuff that was there originally? maybe a leak thru the boot,yes wicking.I've done this many times, mainly with nongreasable components
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Those holes ARE supposed too be there. They are pressure relief "Valves" to keep back yard hacks from blowing the dust cover off it's seats when greasing, and then not noticing. If you don't believe me when everyone else says they are not supposed to be there, goo to the Moog website >> ball joints and look at the cut-away drawing.

The proper way to grease up a ball joint is to pump in grease until you see the dust cap slightly bulge out a tiny bit. If you blow the cap off the seat ring you are gonna have to fight it back on.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I guess that I will have to believe you on that one as I have no data to suggest otherwise. I am pretty skeptical though. I have never heard anyone refer to metal having a "wicking action" unless they were talking about a braided line of some sort. I guess I could see the grease that was pumped into the boot touching the top of the ball surface, maybe sticking to it and possibly lubricating part of the joint while the ball joint moved.
  4. geo1

Not the metal having the wicking,the lube does,I apologize for the not so descriptive reply
  5. Pikey

ok. Doesn't the grease need some sort of media to wick to? Like water. Sitting in a smooth sided glass, it has no wicking action, it is cohesive, but it does not wick up the sides of the smooth glass. Drop a cloth in the glass or a cotton rope and the water uses capillary action and moves up the rope. put a few drops of water on a piece of cardboard, it will leach into the cardboard and spread out. But, the cardboard unlike metal is not waterproof, so it absorbs the water and spreads it out. I guess I don't understand how grease can have it's own wicking action without a media to wick into. By the theory you described grease would wick itself right up the sides of a smooth sided glass.

- - - Updated - - -

my moog ball joints do have a relief hole. I think that the tierod ends do also. I was pretty mad when I finished the install and pumped some grease in only to find a hole with grease leaking out. I thought that I had somehow damaged the boot during install. Then I looked at moog's site and saw that it was part of the design.
  6. geo1

Here's a ?,my door hinge squeaks,there is no zerk fitting,do I spray lube as close as I can?or let a petrobased product wick into the problem area?
  7. Pikey

your door pins are not under the extreme pressure that your ball joints are nor are their tolerances nearly as tight as a ball joint. Bigger gaps allow for your spray lubricant to enter the hinge. I mean penetrating oil is made to find its way into tight spots because it is a very low viscosity. Grease on the other hand has a very high viscosity.
  8. geo1

There is not a tube of grease that will not wick out of itself if let alone.I was just trying to help a g.m brother out with a simple,short term resolve.my bad!I am sorry for the simpleminded reply
  9. Pikey

grease tubes are cardboard, albeit coated on the inside, it still absorbs the grease over time. no need to be sorry. I was interested in the wicking action as I had never heard it described like that . who knows, I could have learned something.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  10. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Here's your wicking action.

The bottom half of the ball is held in a partially sealed rounded cup and spends a lot of time rubbing all over that steel cup. The dust cover protects the top part of the ball which does not rub on anything, and holds the grease that squeezes past the ball routinely. If the ball joint needs grease, and one puts it under the dust cover instead of in the cup via the zerk fitting, it isn't going anywhere until it gets pretty hot. The thing that will get it hot is an unlubricated and unprotected ball scraping around inside of an unlubricated and unprotected steel cup. As it heats up, some grease may thin out and seep into the cup. Maybe enough to protect the ball and cup, maybe not. How many miles were worn off the ball and cup waiting for grease? Who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Grease will separate over time if left still. What is coming through the cardboard is much thinner oil that has separated out of the grease.

Anyone that has ever hand re-packed old school wheel bearings knows how much wicking action there is in fresh grease. It is a pretty good workout to get that stuff between the bearing rollers and they aren't holding up a truck at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

And Duralast, as with all the Chinese stuff usually does not.

I say, If it ain't got a hole
    Then, leave it in the store

Sorry that doesn't rhyme very closely.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a spray can of white lithium grease and have at it. Be careful of overspray. That stuff goes o thin but the carrier fluid evaporates and it thickens up.