Ball joint replacement [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Taggart, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taggart

Taggart Member

Went in for an alignment and was told I need both upper and lower ball joints. I've since gotten estimates anywhere from $600 to $900. What would be a decent price? :?: Sorry, thought I had a sig here. I have a '99 K2500 454.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

RE: Ball joint replacement

The signatures were all lost about a month ago when I moved all of the forums together.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

RE: Ball joint replacement

Wow. I don't know if those are reasonable prices or not, I do my own. But the ball joints are fairly easy to replace if you're handy. Not to mention you'd see a huge price difference if you did it yourself.
    Where did you get those price quotes?
    Actually I see you have press fit lower ball joints, so depending on your capabilities it may be out of your scope of repair but the upper would still be pretty easy. Just to illustrate the highest price upper ball joint I'm seeing is about $42.99, and that's about a 30 - 45 min job depending on the mechanic. Lower would take a little longer. I can't say how long, since I've never done a press fit but I can't imagine it being more than an hour. So figure 4 hours total for all four ball joints, then factor in the alignment.
    Sorry I can be of much more help there.

4. Taggart

Taggart Member

Thanks

Unfortunately I lack all of the ingredients to "do it myself". No experience, equipment, garage, etc. The numbers you suggest work out to $700 or so, I guess, so I'll go with that.

5. Taggart

Taggart Member

RE: Thanks

Just an update. 2nd opinion from a highly regarded front end shop says lowers are just fine, uppers shot, so changed the uppers for $350.00 out the door (included alignment). Saved a few bucks anyway. They found a small exhaust leak when they got her in the air, flange gasket, fixed that as well. Alls well that ends well, I reckon. She's ready for another trailer haul for a southland golf trip which I plan on taking end of January. January not here yet and I'm already tired of snow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.