1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball joint replacement on 1995 C1500 2wd

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crispyt, May 5, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Crispyt

Crispyt New Member 100 Posts

I need to replace my upper and lower ball joints on my 1995 C1500 2WD. They are the originals so I know that I need to cut the rivits out of the upper one. Does the lower one need to be pressed out or can i be taken out by hitting it with a hammer? Also are there any tips that would make it easier to do all this?

Thanks for you help!
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Rather than cut the rivits off, use a grinder to grind the heads off. It's a lot easier, then use a drift punch to knock the rivits out.
    For the lowers it's better to use a press if you have access to one, but if you support the A arm well enough all around 360 degrees you can use a hammer. I cut a hole with the appropriate size hole saw out of a 2 ft by 2 foot block of wood to make a relief for the ball joint when the nearest press was 40 miles away & it worked well. The key is to properly support the A arm, (whether pressing or hammering) because you could bend it if it's not properly supported.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you're not pulling the lower control arm off the truck, you can rent a ball joint press from autozone. It's basically a huge C-clamp with a couple of anvils and cones to provide clearance for the ball joint. It'll press the ball joints in and out fairly easily.
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

x2 on what was said in the previos 2 posts
  5. Crispyt

Crispyt New Member 100 Posts

Thanks for the help all, got em out and all fixed!
  6. Sirwriter

Sirwriter New Member

Hey Chris,
    How's those 4.10 gears work for you? Was wondering about what kind of tranny you have, how many speeds, how it runs at 60 to 70 mph, and last of all, mileage?
    Dan