Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ball joint replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kevans1993, May 27, 2013.

1. kevans1993

kevans1993 New Member

My son just bought a 2000 Silveriado. We need to replace the upper and lower ball joints. I have never done this , any help would be helpful.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the uppers should be held in with rivets. You need to drill the rivets out or take the head off with an air chisel and beat the remaining part of the rivet out with a punch. The lowers should be pressed in. You need to rent a press and press them out. I may have them switched, the uppers may be pressed and the lowers riveted. I can't remember how they were on my 02 silverado.

3. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If its 4wd no rivets on the nbs trucks. You will need to rent a ball joint press and when you install the new ones the uppers are DIRECTIONAL! They have a mark on them that needs to face the wheel or they will snap off driving down the road.

4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Not sure about these answers...I did the uppers on my '01 4wd 1500 about six months ago, and the ball joints could not be pressed out. Rather than do all the drilling and beating, I just bought new upper control arms (with new ball joint installed, of course) at autozone for about $60 each. You can buy them cheaper online, I have seen them as low as $70 for two! They are pretty easy to install, just be sure to mark both cams and bolts in their current location so that when you install the new, you will be sure they go back where they were. You will still need to do a FE alignment, but marking them will get them close enough to drive the vehicle.

As for the lowers, they must be pressed out and pressed in. Some "universal" ball joint press tools will not work. I have the ball joints for mine in a box, and am just going to have a shop do that part, as I need to get an alignment anyway.

5. shibby2oo8

You gotta take tge snap rings out first. I replaced mine all 4 with moog in like 08 and they were like $230. If you get a whole arm i would only suggest moog.

6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I know for sure the lowers are riveted in

7. shibby2oo8

Not on 4wd...

8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

whoops, didnt know we were speaking in different term...

im talking about 2WD... dont know what the OP is referring to...